View Full Version : Wordpress - SE friendly URIs - permalink problems. htaccess?

Graft-Creative
08-14-2006, 01:51 AM
Hi all,

My website is currently flying pretty high in all the main search engines, for the relevant search phrases I wish to be found for, all thanks to wordpress I think ;)

However, only the pages that are directly linked from another site are showing up in the search engines.

In theory it's pretty easy to switch on search engine friendly URIs in Wordpress, but I've found this just makes my site unavailable.

Sorry if this is all a bit vague, maybe if someone could just help me frame the problem, then at least I can try and track down answers.

Kind regards,

Gary

mercy
08-14-2006, 09:29 AM
Thx for the info.

Graft-Creative
08-14-2006, 02:03 PM
Thx for the info.

Thanks, that was useful :confused:

Gary

mlse
08-14-2006, 02:07 PM
Hi Graft,

I may well be teaching my Grandmother to suck eggs here ...

but I found this link (well, the whole site infact!) very usefull: http://www.smart-it-consulting.com/article.htm?node=140

I hope that helps! If it doesn't, do you prefer boiled, scrambled or poached? :D

Phill
08-14-2006, 02:50 PM
However, only the pages that are directly linked from another site are showing up in the search engines.

I think permalinks in WordPress would help you, what error messages do you get when you turn them on? (i.e., write the .htaccess file)?

Graft-Creative
08-14-2006, 03:00 PM
Thanks mlse,

It may come to site maps etc, if I have no further luck with this :)

Just to clarify:

I'm attempting to use the permalink structure of:

/index.php/%year%/%monthnum%/%day%/%postname%/

Which apparently doesn't require .htaccess/mod-rewrite.

However, it doesn't want to work - I'm on an Apache server by the way.

My error log is throwing this back at me.

[Mon Aug 14 13:41:50 2006] [error] [client 88.107.138.39] Options FollowSymLinks or SymLinksIfOwnerMatch is off which implies that RewriteRule directive is forbidden: /domains/g/a/garyhartney.com/public_html/wp-admin/options-permalink.php

Hope someone can help :)

Kind regards,

Gary

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum