View Full Version : Web pages for television browsers??

bazz
08-09-2006, 05:57 PM
Anyone know about this?

I would like to provide an alternative to a 'puter monitor as the way to view my pages. I am curious as to the coding for this. is it just like a screen reader or is there a totally different way of doing it?

bazz

ronaldb66
08-10-2006, 09:40 AM
It's more like a monitor, but you have to account for a much lower resolution and a slightly lower color depth; the latter influences which color combinations work well.
There's a separate media type available for it (tv), of which the W3C says:

Intended for television-type devices (low resolution, color, limited-scrollability screens, sound available).

jalarie
08-10-2006, 03:24 PM
You can get a basic idea of what your pages might look like using "Web TV Viewer" from:

http://developer.msntv.com/

felgall
08-10-2006, 08:36 PM
The thing that will probably have the biggest effect on your pages is that web TV uses a fixed width for web pages of 544 pixels which is not able to be changed. Provided that your page looks reasonable at that width with a low colour resolution then it should work on web TV.

bazz
08-11-2006, 01:32 PM
Thats very helpful guys, thanks.

Having looked at it in the viewer, I find a couple of issues: -

1. The <ul> menu runs horizontally instead of listing the items in a vertical list. (It does it properly in web browsers).
2. the value ™ which should output the trademark sign, outputs only a question mark.

please can you point me to the soultion. I shall search the w3c in the meantime.

bazz

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum