View Full Version : Choosing a SSL Certificate Vendor

paulq
08-09-2006, 04:21 PM
Hi all, I am looking for any information or experiences anyone might be willing to share about choosing a SSL Certificate Vendor. I was curious what is the best certificate for the best price. Although I will not be doing any credit card processing, the information users will be sharing with my server will still be very sensitive.

I know that Verisign is the most popular but is it necessary to pay that much money? Is it just as safe to save some cash and go with thawte or COMODO?

Any advice you can offer would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

NancyJ
08-09-2006, 04:54 PM
SSL certificates are mostly a big scam. Its all about psychology and perception. A verisign certificate is no more secure than a self-signed certificate (assuming you know what you're doing).

So why do people pay vast sums of money to verisign?
1. Because a verisign certificate wont cause a 'security alert' in your browser - they have a deal with browser manufacturers to be on a list of 'trusted' vendors.
2. You can have a nice verisign logo that makes your technophobe customers feel better and safer
3. Insurance - most verisign certificates come with a certain level of fraud protection insurance

Spookster
08-09-2006, 04:57 PM
If you are using shared hosting check with your hosting provider and see if they have one available for use. Some hosts will have SSL certificates available free of charge to their customers.

paulq
08-09-2006, 06:02 PM
No, I'd be hosting it myself. So what is the cheapest SSL certificate that would be recognized by all browsers and wouldn't raise any browser warnings?

NancyJ
08-09-2006, 06:10 PM
you could try these guys...
http://www.rapidssl.com/ssl-certificate-guides/ssl-secure-business/page3.htm#2
They're not too pricy and they list their browser recognition

paulq
08-09-2006, 06:21 PM
Great, thanks for all the advice. For anyone else that is interested, my research found this (http://www.whichssl.com/comparisons/price.html) helpful site as well.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum