View Full Version : Which script do you use

DELOCH
08-09-2006, 02:57 AM
I was just wondering, which server-side scripts do you mostly use...

This might answer a lot of questions wheras people ask which is better.

I prefer PHP for Server Side and PERL for CGI :D

Sorry if it is not in the right place, please move :(

rpgfan3233
08-09-2006, 03:28 AM
I prefer PHP for server side scripting and JavaScript for client side scripting. Dunno why, but ASP/ASP.NET and/or VBScript just didn't quite work well for me. . .

As for databases, since you can't really do much server side without at least one, I prefer MySQL. Oracle just confuses me. :p

And for server applications, I enjoy Apache just because it fits so well with PHP and MySQL. :D

DELOCH
08-09-2006, 04:25 PM
btw: since the original server is HTTP, the apache runs on HTTPD server(apache) but I heard the Linux server is HTTPD is it true?

oracleguy
08-09-2006, 05:14 PM
btw: since the original server is HTTP, the apache runs on HTTPD server(apache) but I heard the Linux server is HTTPD is it true?

... Huh?

The 'd' in HTTPD presumably stands for daemon.

rpgfan3233
08-09-2006, 05:36 PM
... Huh?

The 'd' in HTTPD presumably stands for daemon.
Yes.
Just like when you have aRts (analog Real time synthesizer) running, you may also have artsd (aRts daemon) process running too.

DELOCH
08-10-2006, 12:09 AM
I already know that, I mean does linux freely run PHP Scripts?

rpgfan3233
08-10-2006, 12:26 AM
I already know that, I mean does linux freely run PHP Scripts?
You mean does it act as a server where you can directly run PHP after installing it? That is something I've never heard of personally. Anyway, with things such as LAMP (Linux Apache MySQL PHP; there are variations of this for Windows such as WAMP and XAMPP), why would you want to? If you were actually running a server, you shouldn't need to worry about such apps taking up disk space because it should just be a server. On the other hand, if it were a server and a desktop PC, then I could see why (especially on a Windows machine). In short, you would need to install some sort of server daemon (or build your own) and then install PHP and configure it to run with the server daemon (easier said than done sometimes).

DELOCH
08-10-2006, 03:55 AM
Thanks man you keep helping me, sorry for bugging you so much :(

GJay
08-10-2006, 07:55 PM
You mean does it act as a server where you can directly run PHP after installing it? That is something I've never heard of personally. Anyway, with things such as LAMP (Linux Apache MySQL PHP; there are variations of this for Windows such as WAMP and XAMPP), why would you want to? If you were actually running a server, you shouldn't need to worry about such apps taking up disk space because it should just be a server. On the other hand, if it were a server and a desktop PC, then I could see why (especially on a Windows machine). In short, you would need to install some sort of server daemon (or build your own) and then install PHP and configure it to run with the server daemon (easier said than done sometimes).

When you insert the Ubuntu install CD (not the live-cd, the other one) one of the install options is 'Install a LAMP server'.

Phill
08-11-2006, 01:07 PM
I was just wondering, which server-side scripts do you mostly use...

At work, J2EE / Oracle.

At home, PHP / MySQL / JavaScript.

I wouldn't use PHP for a big project (the lack of exceptions in PHP4 annoys me, 5 has fixed this but a lot of hosts are only just moving over to it).

I've used ASP in the past, never again :D

Aradon
08-12-2006, 05:26 PM
I tend to use whatever will do the job the fastest without compromising quality.

I've used JSP, PHP, ASP, and Perl so far. I'm looking foward to looking into Ruby and Ajax soon.

mercy
08-14-2006, 08:42 AM
PHP is the best for server side script I believe and I use this.

justincredible
08-16-2006, 08:54 PM
PHP. That's how I roll.

stridox
08-19-2006, 03:18 PM
apache php and mysql

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum