View Full Version : a good linux distro

GO ILLINI
08-08-2006, 09:47 AM
What would the best linux distro be for a new server im getting? In your oponion what is the best linux distro?
Right now im using fedora...(4 i think?)

Please explain why the distro is good.

Thanks,
ILLINI

firepages
08-08-2006, 04:21 PM
The distro is only any good if it runs/supports the applications it is going to be running.
So it may depend on what the server will be doing... web/mail/ftp/file/dns etc.. is it going to be a true server or will you be runing it as a desktop as well etc... if a standalone server then I dont think it matters that much as long as your distro is well supported so fedora or debian would be ideal.

What applications are you going to be running ? check those apps for supported distributions and rpm/package availability etc.

Spookster
08-08-2006, 04:26 PM
This question really can't be answered. The best distro is the one you feel comfortable with. The right distro to use depends on exactly what you need it for and what your personal preferences are. This same exact question was asked on the FedoraForums.

http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=79666

Aradon
08-08-2006, 05:12 PM
yeah, you can't really pick a best. I personally use the newst Fedora Release (Core 5) Although I still think Core 4 was better.

My friend on the other hand was a huge fan of Ubuntu but that is more suited for desktop and personal use if you ask me.

oracleguy
08-08-2006, 06:09 PM
Yeah like others have said, it really depends on your personal preference and what you are planning on doing with the distro.

I personally like Gentoo, but it is definetly not the shake and bake of linux distros. One of the biggest things I like about it is the Portage package system, it is great.

NancyJ
08-08-2006, 06:15 PM
I love my Debian server, hate the RH9 server - mostly because its out of date, difficult to maintain and so unsupported.
But if you're using Fedora, I'm guessing your used to that - is there any reason you want to change?

rpgfan3233
08-08-2006, 06:45 PM
There is Ubuntu 6.06 LTS Server (http://ubuntu-releases.cs.umn.edu/6.06/) if you want to test Ubuntu. However, I recommend something like Fedora Core or Debian. User-friendliness usually isn't a problem with those distros and they still allow you to perform proper adminstration duties on the system.

GO ILLINI
08-08-2006, 07:33 PM
I plan to be running web/mysql/mail.

I was probably going to end up installing command line only. mayb X...

I want to swtich just to see what else is out there. I will still have a fedora server.

-ILLINI

GJay
08-08-2006, 08:25 PM
If you're in a position where you have a bit of time/slack to learn new stuff, then maybe install ubuntu or debian, precisely because it's not quite the same as what you already know?

You could diverge even further, and go with FreeBSD instead- nothing massively different in the grand scheme of things, but you'll probably need to spend a bit of time figuring out how to do stuff.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum