View Full Version : linux question

scroots
11-05-2002, 09:26 PM
i have no knowledge of linux.
i am considering installing linux when i get a new PC.
what should i be aware of about linux e.g. incompatability etc?
does linux support USB?
which linux would be most right for me? the home user, i develop serverside pages, i`m a web designer and mp3 listener
what are the major differences other than speed and buglessness of linux compared to windows?
can i have windows and linux on the same PC?
is the version of linux that would suit me available for free?

thanks
scroots

Bil:)
11-06-2002, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by scroots
i have no knowledge of linux.
i am considering installing linux when i get a new PC.
what should i be aware of about linux e.g. incompatability etc?

Linux is awesome, but are you wanting to take on a whole new learning curve? Many of your current MS apps don't work on Linux, but see below

does linux support USB?

Yes.

which linux would be most right for me? the home user, i develop serverside pages, i`m a web designer and mp3 listener

Have a look at http://lindows.com Very exciting for home user!

what are the major differences other than speed and buglessness of linux compared to windows?

*No crashes* Lots of free apps. Very cool.

can i have windows and linux on the same PC?

Absolutely.

is the version of linux that would suit me available for free?

See lindows again. Only $99 and tons of free apps from their click-n-run warehouse.

thanks
scroots

HIH

SpeedFreak
11-06-2002, 10:50 AM
IMHO Mandrake 9.0 is better than lindows

its an easy way to learn linux and is great for desktop or server use. It actually teaches you stuff as opposed to lindow which just tries to make windows users at home :)

cheers

bcarl314
11-06-2002, 11:30 AM
Also, I believe there is a "Windows for Linux" program called Wine out there. It's supposed to emulate a windows environment, and enable you to run windows apps on a linux box.

Alot of open source will allow you to work with windows / office formatted files. Ex OpenOffice & Star Office can read MS Office files. So you don't need Excel, Powerpoint, & Word.

ionsurge
11-06-2002, 12:02 PM
Urmm... Windows costs an arm and a leg, and well Linux is free.

Ionsurge.

tommysphone
11-06-2002, 01:33 PM
Go on, Install it on your machine. It'll be an adventure of which I doubt you will dislike!

USB Support - Yes
Which version - SuSe (my choice)
2 os on the same box - Of course

Some great software out there for the MP3 side of your life and I could go on for ages about linux and the internet but I'll let you find out yourself :)

wap3
11-06-2002, 02:20 PM
Hi

I always wandered about this to and so have a few quetions

How do you install both Windows and linux do you have the partition the hard drive so you have a part for each ??

Well how exactly do you go about it ??

:thumbsup:

Spookster
11-06-2002, 03:19 PM
http://www.linuxnewbie.org/nhf

ionsurge
11-07-2002, 09:52 AM
<dribble> - well not sooo distgusting, but I just saw some awesome screenshots of Linux....

Ionsurge.

scroots
11-07-2002, 06:09 PM
i will install linux when i get my pc, i will probalby install mandrake, but i will always have a spair partition to try out other versions.

scroots

joh6nn
11-10-2002, 02:26 PM
this is Cygwin (http://www.cygwin.com/). it emulates linux on your windows machine. essentially, it installs a whole bunch of batch files and dos programs, which mimic the function of many unix commands, etc, so that you can run some unix/linux stuff on a windows machine, through the command prompt. i don't use it, because i don't know what i'm doing, and i'm not keen on messing my computer up at the moment, but if you were trying to familiarize yourself with linux, then this might be the way to go.

yes, it is free.

whackaxe
11-10-2002, 03:24 PM
to also familiarise yourself with linux, you can try www.virtual-linux.org i found this yesterday and have managed to get it to work correctly yet with my p00 computer but everybody ive spoken to says it works. what it is, is linux on a CD. yes thats right, you download the .iso file burn it onto a CD pop the CD into your drive and reboot and voila linux on a CD. no need for hard drive unless you want to keep you configuration :p. SuSE also do this for the distro on thier download page. hopefully ill be able to learn something abou linux for once

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum