View Full Version : Which is better php or asp

googleit
08-04-2006, 01:26 PM
iam going to buy a hosting account and am wondering which is better to learn?
Asp or php?
Thanks for your time :)

vinyl-junkie
08-04-2006, 01:29 PM
I would personally go for PHP, as you have more web hosting possibilities than you do with ASP (and I assume you're really talking about ASP.NET). Both are pretty easy to learn though, if you're looking at that aspect.

googleit
08-04-2006, 01:35 PM
yeah i was looking at what the php hosting came with and i has way more than asp

etechdesigns
08-04-2006, 02:46 PM
Go for PHP, PHP seems to be faster and more efficient, it is generally referred to as more stable and less resource intensive as well.

oracleguy
08-04-2006, 05:10 PM
In truth though, neither is necessarily better. This topic has been discuessed to death before on here. Basically it really depends on which one is best suited for what you are doing and your existing programming knowledge. For example if you've done a lot of Visual Basic previously, going to ASP wouldn't be too difficult at all. Or if you've done a lot of C or Java going to PHP wouldn't be too hard. There are pros and cons to both languages, it depends what you want to do with it.

felgall
08-04-2006, 11:31 PM
ASP has basically been superceded by .NET

When choosing between them choose the one that your web hosting supports.

GO ILLINI
08-08-2006, 09:34 AM
they are very similar
php is used more because it works on all platforms
asp can only be used with IIS on windows

In my oponion php is the way to go

Aradon
08-08-2006, 04:17 PM
I'd just go with whichever syntax you feel most comfortable with as stated..

For example if you've done a lot of Visual Basic previously, going to ASP wouldn't be too difficult at all. Or if you've done a lot of C or Java going to PHP wouldn't be too hard.

I liked php coming from a C and java background, but for the small amount of ASP I did it didn't seem to hard to learn.

DELOCH
08-08-2006, 04:57 PM
It depends, you can't compare apples to oranges

they are both:

server side scripts.
able to generate html,
able to connect to databases,

the main thing is which one you like.

PHP is fast strong and reliable but it's syntax is alike of C++/PERL while
ASP is a slower strong and reliable but it is odd:

ASP can use multiple languages(VBscript, Javascript at beginning)
and addons for Perlscript and such

I would reccomend you to stick with any language you feel you like.

I will just tell you what my dad says: Do what they pay you for

if they pay for ASP, use ASP, otherwise PHP , PERL JSP, Coldfusion, Python, Ruby and other lot of scripts :D

any programming language can use CGI even Visual Basic and such

note: ASP is older than ASP.NET, but I think ASP.NET is a bit slower than ASP

Spookster
08-08-2006, 06:26 PM
PHP is the only language you will use. The Spookster has spoken. End of discussion. :D

DELOCH
08-08-2006, 06:36 PM
Spookster, commanding people will not help

ASP Cookie:

<%
Response.Cookies("Name") = "Hubert"
Response.Write Request.QueryString("Name")
%>

PHP Cookie

<?
setCookie("Name", "Hubert");
print($_COOKIE['Name']);
?>

Still I like PHP more since it's syntax is more like PERL/C++

but For beginners ASP is quite good

Like I said decide yourself :D

arnyinc
08-08-2006, 07:50 PM
From my personal experience there are a lot more "holier than thou" jerks on the php side of the fence. The type of person who rolls his eyes and whispers something under his breath every time you ask a question. PHP is their life, whereas ASP is just a way to write a stupid script.

There are tons of resources and genuinely helpful people, but keep that in mind when you go looking for help. :thumbsup:

felgall
08-09-2006, 02:24 AM
ASP.NET tends to be used more by web sites for big companies that host their own sites while sites for individuals and small companies tend to go for PHP. This is probably because third party hosting tends to charge more for ASP.NET since they have to buy some of the software whereas all the software you need to set up hosting that supports PHP/mySQL is open source.

Contary to a prior statement in this discussion you can run ASP on Apache, it is not limited to IIS.

DELOCH
08-09-2006, 02:53 AM
Not completely true, PHP has a perfect way for beginners and professionals to make first rate scripts which are:

1)extremely fast
2)really simple
3)really powerful and effective
4)very interactive
5)Easily connected to a database
6)Fun to create

while ASP.NET can:

1) Use Visual Basic, J#, C++, C#
2) True object orientation since it uses the real language
3) It is extremely slow
4) It is mostly generated by the studio so you do not code as much.
5) It is fully compatible with XML
6) It is fun to create with a freeware GUI(Visual Web-Dev 2005 Express Edition)

PHP is free but it is still very nice to code. and it is easy to go to PERL from it.

That is pretty much it...

timgolding
08-09-2006, 02:38 PM
ASP is a horibble language. PHP is pure adictive. Thats my opinion. Actually I dislike all MS programming languages especially ASP and VB

timgolding
08-09-2006, 02:40 PM
Yes felgall I heard this, i think you can set up php on IIS as well. Perosnally in the past I just installed WAMP :)

vinyl-junkie
08-10-2006, 03:33 AM
ASP is a horibble language.
Classic ASP is a horrible language. ASP.NET rocks! :thumbsup: It is waaay better than classic ASP ever thought about being.

I code in PHP, but just comparing the two on the basis of coding features, ASP.NET is far superior to PHP, in my opinion.

DELOCH
08-10-2006, 03:48 AM
I am sorry for overposting... I would like to restate ASP.NET is by far better yet there is a huge downfall to it... it takes 20x faster to load compared to almost instantaneus PHP5

Still, PERL is still better but by hard more annoying than PHP

btw: ASP.NET/ASP are not horrible languages, in fact many people think of them immediatly as they hear the word Server because Active Server Pages work exactly in the way the server works

but still there is one thing I heard that I cannot go against: a person will not come into a site and look at the top extension and say: boo this website is made on PHP lets get out of here... or say ASP is for dummies, they will look at the site's look and the value of it's information and rate on that. still, speed is essential since a person will go away within 5 seconds of loading

ASP Takes 0.1 to 10 mins to load while PHP takes 0.1 to 1 minute to load, ASP.NET Takes even longer :\

oracleguy
08-10-2006, 05:16 PM
I am sorry for overposting... I would like to restate ASP.NET is by far better yet there is a huge downfall to it... it takes 20x faster to load compared to almost instantaneus PHP5

ASP Takes 0.1 to 10 mins to load while PHP takes 0.1 to 1 minute to load, ASP.NET Takes even longer :\

Alright, lets see some proof to back these claims up. While I won't say one is faster than the other, these claims sound extremely ungrounded. They sound more like something a fan-boy would say. I'd like to see some proof.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum