View Full Version : Setting up a DNS

Cheeseboy
08-01-2006, 02:36 PM
Hi, I want to set up a Dns server. Im guessing you have to use bind. I read alittle about it and it barely makes since. I was wondering you you knew of a great easy to follow guide or something that can help me understand and set up my dns server.

THanks!

sage45
08-01-2006, 07:29 PM
What operating system are you using on your potential DNS server???

-saige-

Cheeseboy
08-01-2006, 10:17 PM
Slackware Linux

skinner927
08-02-2006, 08:01 PM
Good luck with that. Its a royal pain in the butt. I tried setting on up, it wasnt worth my time. There are hundereds of free DNS sservers out there. If you're just trying to set up your website or your home ip, nothing too big, go with a free one online. If you're trying to do something huge, good luck.

Spookster
08-02-2006, 08:18 PM
Hi, I want to set up a Dns server. Im guessing you have to use bind. I read alittle about it and it barely makes since. I was wondering you you knew of a great easy to follow guide or something that can help me understand and set up my dns server.

THanks!

Yes you will want to use BIND. Here is a step by step guide
http://www.brennan.id.au/08-Domain_Name_System_BIND.html

Cheeseboy
08-05-2006, 12:19 AM
Thanks guys, Its very confusing stuff, is it bad to just get my dn provider to do it for me other than i loose the learning experience?

GO ILLINI
08-08-2006, 09:26 AM
learning expereiences are great and all but if you want something to work for sure, ide either pay a dns provider to do it or find a free one. This is not stoping you from messing with your own.

-ILLINI

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum