View Full Version : Dreamweaver equivalent freeware?

lotusindigo
07-31-2006, 10:15 PM
I don't mean truly equivalent, of course, but is there any freeware out there that is comparable? I learned JS on Dreamweaver, unfortunately that was in school and I don't have a copy of my own. What programs do you guys use for your projects?

VR2
08-01-2006, 12:04 AM
I would suggest Microsoft Visual Web Developer 2005 Express. It comes with a top notch IDE, a server side (.NET) debugger AND a client side JS Debugger.

In many ways, especially if you're a coder rather than a designer, VWD is better than Dreamweaver.

And, incredibly, its totally free!

Just goto the msdn site and pick it up.

_Aerospace_Eng_
08-01-2006, 12:18 AM
Hmm NVU (http://www.nvu.com) is pretty close to a DW alternative. It is free as well.

lotusindigo
08-01-2006, 12:25 AM
Thanks, guys. I'll check them out.

lotusindigo
08-01-2006, 12:45 AM
The microsoft program is giving me the option to install an SQL server. Should I go with that or use PHP?

_Aerospace_Eng_
08-01-2006, 01:47 AM
The sql server is for databases.

Kravvitz
08-01-2006, 02:21 AM
Yes. lotusindigo's question is like "do you walk to work or carry your lunch?".

PHP is a server-side language. SQL is one of Microsoft's database types. MySQL is more commonly used with PHP.

Keep in mind that WYSIWYG editors tend to produce low quality code.

lotusindigo
08-01-2006, 02:27 AM
I don't think I posed that question right. Never mind.

Keep in mind that WYSIWYG editors tend to produce low quality code.

Kravvitz, by that do you mean that you would recommend that I do my own coding rather than use a wysiwyg?

Kravvitz
08-01-2006, 02:36 AM
For X/HTML, CSS, and JavaScript, yes. I believe those should be written by hand. That doesn't mean that you can't use programs with advanced text editing features like syntax highlighting, customizable tab sizes, and find-and-replace that has regular expressions support.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum