View Full Version : Ajax

Webgirl
07-29-2006, 02:45 PM
Im looking for a thread on Ajax and I have read nearly all the threads and I cant find it. In case I might be blind please show me the right direction. Am still new on this forum but I know its not a reason for not finding Ajax. Any help will be appreciated - am sure there are good forces around here. :confused:

dan.s
07-29-2006, 06:27 PM
What specific part of AJAX are you looking for a thread on? Are you looking for a script or what? AJAX is really just JavaScript, XML and a Serverside language so try one of those forums.

Webgirl
07-29-2006, 11:44 PM
Thanks a million I really appreciate your reply. Though I feel at home with JavaScript XML and CSS I still dont know how things function in AJAX. Of course there is still a way of googling things out. I only thought there was a special thread but now Im glad to know that there is none. I checked a few tutorials from http://www.w3schools.com but I still didnt understand this XMLHttpRequest Methods - I guess I have to give it a try again maybe I will understand it after reading the tutorials the 50th time. Talking about a thick head (I hope not though)

hey thanks for reading my rumbling.

KevinG
07-30-2006, 12:58 AM
ola webgirl, get yourself an rss reader and then search the rss directories for ajax feeds, thats what i did for ajax (only this week). not sure who owns this forum but they have done a clean job with their rss also.

Webgirl
07-30-2006, 02:21 AM
Thanks a million Kevin - Can you please link me your site where you had this rss read - I would love the inspiration. ;)

KevinG
07-30-2006, 09:16 AM
first i downloaded FeedDemon - the rss reader, i looked at all the main ones, but i liked this best plus you can do 'watches' - put keywords in a watch (i.e. - your competitors) and if they pop up in a news feed it is gathered and you are notified.

i searched google for rss directories, then i searched those rss directories for ajax rss feeds.

these are the ajax sites i'm subscribed to - maxkiesler.com/index.php/mhub and ajaxian.com/by/topic/ajax/

let me know if you find a good ajax resource yourself. i am reading a book about it that the moment. for software, backbase.com looks good, but is too expensive.

Webgirl
07-30-2006, 11:19 PM
Thanks a million Kevin - Im gonna have a look around. How long have you been using Ajax? :cool:

KevinG
07-30-2006, 11:43 PM
i've been studying the ajax action for about a week. i hope to have some tests online within the next couple of days. i will post up my discoveries if you want.

p.s, i just wanted to see what my text would loook like.

Webgirl
07-31-2006, 10:07 PM
Isnt there a way of starting the AJAX without downloading anything before - I mean just like JavaScipt when you learn it you dont have to download anything. :confused: I have a problem about downloading things others have done for me. Im sure there should be another way around. :(

mark87
07-31-2006, 10:16 PM
You don't have to download anything to use Ajax. Ajax is mostly just a buzzword anyway... normally it just means the use of XMLHttpRequest in Javascript.

Have a look at http://www.w3schools.com/xml/xml_http.asp , it's needless to say that you need a pretty sound knowledge of Javascript already though. :)

Webgirl
07-31-2006, 10:25 PM
Thanks Mark - Im releaved now. Well talk about sound knowledge of JavaScript - Im there or on my way up the hill. :cool:

I saw that "XMLhttpRequest" thingy already and I guess there is no other way but check it again.

So long :(

KevinG
07-31-2006, 10:29 PM
backbase.com

Webgirl
07-31-2006, 11:27 PM
Is that a link Kevin. You forgot the protocol www. Thanks all the same :D

KevinG
07-31-2006, 11:35 PM
it is, sometimes i dont put w w w as i do not want people to think i am posting affiliate links.

oracleguy
08-01-2006, 05:55 AM
it is, sometimes i dont put w w w as i do not want people to think i am posting affiliate links.

If you put the link in proper context, no one will think that. We are usually pretty good about that.

Webgirl
08-01-2006, 09:58 PM
well I just want to report that its getting better - its not like an alien programming anymore. Im slowly, slowly getting comfortable with AJAX, well I can write 1 page of it and I also know what it means. Take time to know her.

Talk about rumbling. :thumbsup:

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum