View Full Version : Event handling in mobile browser..

burrough
07-26-2006, 09:53 AM
Hi All,
I was looing for some kind of information how event handling would be done in a mobile browser..
i would be greatful if i could get some info on how i can implement the complete event handling module from capturing of events to handling(invoking scripts and as such... )...

(PS :@ KOR
As per ur suggestion Kor , i started a new thread :) so that i cud get some more help... please keep me updated with ur thoughts)

Kor
07-26-2006, 01:18 PM
You must first tell us what kind of browser u will use. Compatible NS, compatible Mozilla? Compatible IE... And which version NS4, NS7, IE4, IE 6, ....

Second you must make clear what you understand by "handling events"

burrough
07-26-2006, 01:30 PM
I am really sorry for keeping it abstract...

I am currently referring KHTML which is used in webcore... (apple's browser... )

i would actually put across a sample case ..

<input type = "button" name="b" value="Search" Onclick="doSomething()">

on coming across something like this i know that firts step would be registering a handler and then we will have to probably invoke the scripts whenthe onclick actually happens.. this is the skeleton flow i know .. i would like u to tell me how can i go about the implemenatation of the same and in the first place if i am right about the above explanation... ..

please lemme know on how i can go about the implementation of the same
i hope i am clear...

burrough
07-28-2006, 05:10 AM
I am not sure if i have put across my problem clearly... i would like to know if any more details are required so that i can get some lead to get started..
:confused:

brothercake
07-31-2006, 03:56 PM
It varies widely by device and browser.

I can tell you that that specific example will work in Pocket IE, but that's about the limit of its complexity - it doesn't support DOM handlers, only inline handlers.

Mobile Opera 8 however is almost on a par with its desktop cousin, however you still have a limited range of events, because the devices just can't generate many of them - you'll get click events, focus events if a device has a d-pad, and the usual programattic events like the submit event of forms and the onreadystatechange of an xmlhttp request.

Minimo sucks and blows - I wouldn't waste time with it.

But really - the bottom line here has to be one of practicality - if you're developing for a mobile platform, you need a test device; there's no way you'll be able to do a good job just by asking people to check it every now and then.

So - do you have such a device? What is it running? Is that your target audience?

burrough
08-01-2006, 05:27 AM
Thanx for the response........
currently my device is Pocket PC......but the whole idea is to have platform independent browser may be catering to a whole range.As of now i have started on pocket PC.
can i get some information on how i can use the DOM to achieve the whole of event handling.Details on how one would invoke DOM and more on the flow of the control for event hamdling using DOM.
:)

brothercake
08-02-2006, 04:47 PM
Okay well as it stands now, what you want is a pipe-dream - you're not gonna be able to make an app that works on all mobile browsers, you will have to code-fork for each specific one you want to support.

So - if Pocket IE is your first audience, DOM scripting is not gonna help you - it doesn't properly support it, it generally only supports inline handlers. So the first thing I suggest is that you set up a test page with a few inline handlers, and see which ones are working.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum