View Full Version : What is the name ofmysql database? newbie!!

jackam1
07-26-2006, 09:22 AM
You are just about to hear the most basic question.
I have created a small table in mysql but I do not know what the name of my database is.
How can I find out?
I can ssh to my database server and can also log in and enter the control panel.
I have created a tabel but I do not know how to find out the name of the databse so I can import data to it.
Please please help.
Please let me know what information you need.
Thanks alot.
jack

raf
07-26-2006, 10:38 AM
if you enter the control panel (which one?), can't you then see the mysql-db's then?

jackam1
07-26-2006, 10:45 AM
Hi raf

I think thats part of my problem.
All I can see is Control Pael writing at top, below ADMIN,ACCOUNTS DOAMINS LOGS HELP LOGOUT.
Then I have table list, with the name of my table.
On the left options are list tables,create table, export data and run sql.
Any ideas?
thanks
jack

raf
07-26-2006, 12:05 PM
try running this sql-statement:
SHOW databases

guelphdad
07-26-2006, 12:25 PM
If you have CPANEL then you should also see a link to phpmyadmin which you would use to interface with mysql to create tables, queries etc.

jackam1
07-26-2006, 12:36 PM
Hi raf.
simple command , did the job.
many thanks
I still don't know what sort of control panel I have, but at least I solved the database part of it.
Now I have to figure out how to input the large database file into it, as there is a 5MB size limit on importing it thorugh the control panel. But thats another story.
thanks quelphdad.

guelphdad
07-26-2006, 12:38 PM
When you say control panel do you mean you are using CPANEL or phpmyadmin or something entirely different?

jackam1
07-26-2006, 12:42 PM
Hi
The top part just says Control Panel, printed as part of a logo.
No sign of a phpmyadmin.
I would be grateful if you would tell me what command I should use with ssh to load a .sql file back to database though. As it is too big to use it through teh control panel (under RunSQL)
thanks
jack

GJay
07-26-2006, 01:33 PM
mysql --database=jackamsdatabase --user=jackam --password=password < sqldump.sql

jackam1
07-26-2006, 02:37 PM
Hi

I get this error message when I try it.
I also got this error when i tried afew times before...
Any ideas?
thanks

ERROR 1064 (42000): You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'mysql --database=xxxx --user=xxxx --password=xxx < xxxx' at line 1

jackam1
07-26-2006, 02:43 PM
Hi
When I tried again, I just got a mysql prompt at the next line.(mysql>) with no error messages.
Does that mean it is exporting?
thanks
jack

raf
07-26-2006, 04:06 PM
just check the results...

select the db with "USE dbname;"
then a "SHOW tables;" or a "SELECT * FROM tablename;"
(enter commands (without double quotes) at the mysql>-prompt and replace italics by db or table names)

jackam1
07-26-2006, 04:12 PM
Hi Raf

Have chekced, its no good.
I even split the large 6MB file in two, But still no use.
I get the rror message "query was empty" when tried to load it through teh control panel.
:(

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum