View Full Version : Wireless-G

thesmart1
07-26-2006, 03:59 AM
Do Wireless-G routers support sharing files between computers?

daniel_g
07-26-2006, 04:06 AM
Yes, in fact, the router is the easy part. Getting your OS to do it can sometimes be tricky. Put everything on the shared folder, use the same Workgroup name, tweak the firewalls, and away you go.

thesmart1
07-26-2006, 04:53 AM
I have a Belkin 54g router. I called Belkin and they said that their router doen't support sharing files between computers or sharing my printer (an Epson Stylus CX6400).

For future reference (if/when I get a router that supports file and printer sharing), how would I create a workgroup in Windows XP? And by "tweak the firewalls", do you mean create an exception for File and Printer Sharing? (The only firewall I have is Windows Firewall, unless Norton blocks it, too)

_Aerospace_Eng_
07-26-2006, 06:07 AM
I'm going to say Belkin doesn't know know what they are talking. The router acts as a cross over cable. As daniel said put the files you want in a shared folder then you will need to setup a home network. If both systems are XP then it will be quite easy. MS has an article on this http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/default.mspx
I would give your network a unique name just in case some how others are listening in on the wireless connection. You do have your wireless router encrypted don't you?

daniel_g
07-26-2006, 06:19 AM
Can you be more specific about the model of the belkin? I know sometimes, some cable companies(at least here on the east coast of the US), tell costumers the last of lies to get them to buy their own equipment and pay a monthly fee for networking. Even if whatever they told you came from Belkin and not your ISP I still have my doubts.

If you only have Norton and Windows firewall, you should be fine. First open Windows Explorer, look for a folder called Documents which is most of the time here: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents

Right click that folder, and click on properties.
On the Sharing tab, check "Share this folder on the network".
Click Apply. Windows Firewall should have been automatically configured to allow you to share, but just in case, click on "View your Windows Firewall Settings", select the exception tab and look for "File and Printer Sharing". Make sure the square is checked. Click Apply on all the stuff you oppened and then OK.

Then look for a "My Computer" icon. Sometimes its on the desktop, sometimes is on the start bar. right click it and select Properties.
Go to the tab that says Computer Name.
Click Network ID, and let the setup do the rest. Reboot.
Open MyComputer properties again, and under Computer Name click Change(to rename computer...)
Give your computer a nice name if it doesn't have one already, and give a name to your workgroup.

The Workgroup name on all computers must be the same in order for everything to work.

Windows XP Home is known to have this bug that will sometimes not let you see the other computers on the network, much less share printer. XP pro doesn't have that problem(As far as I know).

thesmart1
07-26-2006, 03:41 PM
I'm going to say Belkin doesn't know know what they are talking. The router acts as a cross over cable. As daniel said put the files you want in a shared folder then you will need to setup a home network. If both systems are XP then it will be quite easy. MS has an article on this http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/default.mspx
I would give your network a unique name just in case some how others are listening in on the wireless connection. You do have your wireless router encrypted don't you?
The router came with a setup disk to set up the network. Yesterday, I tried running the Network Setup Wizard and the Wireless Network Setup Wizard on both computers. All that did was override the settings made with the Belkin setup, leaving the laptop with no Internet connection. And I have my network protected with WPA.

Can you be more specific about the model of the belkin? I know sometimes, some cable companies(at least here on the east coast of the US), tell costumers the last of lies to get them to buy their own equipment and pay a monthly fee for networking. Even if whatever they told you came from Belkin and not your ISP I still have my doubts.

If you only have Norton and Windows firewall, you should be fine. First open Windows Explorer, look for a folder called Documents which is most of the time here: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents

Right click that folder, and click on properties.
On the Sharing tab, check "Share this folder on the network".
Click Apply. Windows Firewall should have been automatically configured to allow you to share, but just in case, click on "View your Windows Firewall Settings", select the exception tab and look for "File and Printer Sharing". Make sure the square is checked. Click Apply on all the stuff you oppened and then OK.

Then look for a "My Computer" icon. Sometimes its on the desktop, sometimes is on the start bar. right click it and select Properties.
Go to the tab that says Computer Name.
Click Network ID, and let the setup do the rest. Reboot.
Open MyComputer properties again, and under Computer Name click Change(to rename computer...)
Give your computer a nice name if it doesn't have one already, and give a name to your workgroup.

The Workgroup name on all computers must be the same in order for everything to work.

Windows XP Home is known to have this bug that will sometimes not l et you see the other computers on the network, much less share printer. XP pro doesn't have that problem(As far as I know).
I don't think Belkin, or any company for that matter, would lie when telling you that their product can do almost nothing. I'd be skeptical if they said something like, "Oh, it can do anything--share folders, printers, your entire hard drive if you wanted it to. And you may not have noticed it, but it also triples the speed of your Internet. ;) " ...very skeptical
And the Network ID button is grayed out.

Belkin also said they don't support our printer (Epson Stylus CX6400). They said I'd need a print server. What exactly is a print server?

_Aerospace_Eng_
07-26-2006, 06:19 PM
Have you tried any of the suggestions we've given you? Having a router is just like having a cable connected from one computer to the other. You don't need a print server, you just need to be in the same workgroup. Pay attention to what we are telling you, answers are staring at you.

thesmart1
07-26-2006, 06:43 PM
How do I set up a workgroup? Do I do what daniel_g said? Because I tried that and I can't click Network ID (it's grayed out).

I talked to Epson: they said that the printer is not compatible with any wireless routers (it is a multi-function printer). Maybe hard-wiring the laptop to the router through an ethernet cable would help?

oracleguy
07-26-2006, 07:03 PM
How do I set up a workgroup? Do I do what daniel_g said? Because I tried that and I can't click Network ID (it's grayed out).

Are you logged on with admistrator privledges?

thesmart1
07-26-2006, 07:08 PM
Yes, on both computers

daniel_g
07-26-2006, 08:58 PM
Do you have Windows Media Center Edition, XP, or Home?
Like I said, the OS is the hard part.
Try this link: http://mcpmag.com/forums/forum_posts.asp?tid=2543&pn=1
Read the last two post as they might be the answer you need if you have MCE

thesmart1
07-27-2006, 05:10 AM
XP Home on the desktop & XP Media Center on the latop

_Aerospace_Eng_
07-27-2006, 05:27 AM
Did you even read this link? http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/default.mspx

thesmart1
07-27-2006, 02:26 PM
Yes, but I can't even get the computers to recognize each other.

daniel_g
07-27-2006, 05:51 PM
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/mediacenter/evaluation/faq.mspx

Read this:

Can I connect a new PC running Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 to a work network or domain?
While you can access network resources on a work network or a domain, you cannot join a Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 PC to the domain. PCs running Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 are designed specifically for home use. Windows XP Professional features, specifically Domain Join and Cached Credentials (Credentials Manager for logons) are not included. As a result, you will be prompted for your logon user name and password to access network resources after you reboot or log back on to the PC. In addition, file shares or network resources that are set to require a domain-joined PC for access will not be available. Remote Desktop and Encrypting File System support are still included.

That's basically telling you that it's impossible to allow file sharing on a Media Center based computer.
Although that might not be true. You might still be able to join a domain by doing a fresh install of the Media Center Computer. To do it, follow the link I gave you before.
Note that I've never done that before, so I wouldn't know if it really works or not.

oracleguy
07-27-2006, 07:51 PM
You do not have to be part of a domain to share files between two computers. They are saying you can't access shares that require the computer to be part of the domain.

You can definetly share files with the media center edition if you are using a workgroup.

You said they won't recognize each other, do they both get out onto the internet okay through the router?

daniel_g
07-28-2006, 03:12 AM
oracleguy is right, sorry about that :o That was me not reading very well.
So instead of clicking network id, click the one that's below it: "Change"
Make sure Workgroup is selected, and give a name to it. Give exactly the same name to the workgroup on your laptop.

thesmart1
07-28-2006, 03:03 PM
Both computers connect to the Internet just fine. I tried what daniel_g said (about the workgroup) and I still can't get it to work.

oracleguy
07-28-2006, 06:49 PM
Okay, what are the IP addresses of both computers?

You can get them by going to run > cmd > ipconfig

thesmart1
07-31-2006, 04:20 PM
Desktop: 209.123.64.7
Laptop: 192.168.2.1
Why does that matter?

daniel_g
07-31-2006, 05:27 PM
Only one of them seems to be connected to the router(the laptop).
I'm thinking you have a modem with a built in wireless router, that allows only one computer to be hardwired to it?

oracleguy
07-31-2006, 05:35 PM
Yeah, how exactly do you have everything hooked up? (the cable/dsl modem, router, computers) The reason the computers aren't talking to each other is that they aren't on the same subnet and it probably doesn't know how to route between them.

thesmart1
08-01-2006, 10:51 PM
The DSL modem and the desktop are connected to the router. The laptop has built-in WLAN. The printer is connected to the desktop.

See the attachment

skinner927
08-02-2006, 07:55 PM
Seeing as how your two computers have differend subsets, you'll need to set them up with staic IPs. The laptop seems to be running under DCHP through the router and the PC would be running directly from the modem for some reason. The router may be configured so that it spits the DSL, instead of taking it all and distrubuting it. I drew a pic if that was confusing, but i'm sure the picture is just as confusing.

I'll help you set up your staic IP. Honestly, this should be done to every single network. DHCP is only for clients (meaning computers or other networkable devices) that are temporarily connected to your network (like a friend who brough over his laptop). It makes the network more stable and helps in file and printer sharing.

This router is very odd. It seems Belkin went way out of their way to do what they did.

I don't believe they can stop file and printer sharing. Files and printer info are sent over the network as packets, no different than when accessing the internet. The only problem you're having is that they aren't on the same subset. Asigning static ips will force them to work together, which would bypass Belkins attempt to stop sharing. The only problem that could hapen is that there truly are two different connections, meaning two different networks, and then you're out of luck unless you can setup up a bounce back server, or a proxy server.

Do me a favor, and do another ipconfig and tell me what the

subnetmask and default gateway are on both.

one thing to add, you dont need a printer server. IT will work, you just may loose special features, and only able to do a basic print (better than nothign)

P.s. Nice drawing.

daniel_g
08-03-2006, 05:46 PM
Can you include the model of the router on your response? I think it's going to be found on the botton of the router, on some sort of sticker.
Hopefully we can get this going without you having to buy anything new.

thesmart1
08-09-2006, 09:34 PM
The subnet mask on both is 255.255.255.0 and the default gateway on both is 192.168.2.1

The model number of the router is F5D7230-4

The ipconfig shows me different IP Addresses than what I said before:
Desktop: 192.168.2.2
Laptop: 192.168.2.3

Also, what is a bounce-back server or a proxy server?

skinner927
08-09-2006, 10:17 PM
Alright, seeing as with this new info, everything seems to be running ok. You don't have two DHCP tables as it seemed before, so you wont need to setup a bounceback or proxy server.

File and printer sharing should work.

If I remember correctly, you said you were running windows XP. File and printer sharing is super easy in win xp.

Turn both computers on, and on one go to start > My Network Places. If that doesnt exist, go to start > my computer > then on the left side there should be a small link that says "my network places", click it. From there you should see folders that are shared. If nothing is there, chances are its not turned on.

To turn it on (the easy way and technically not correct way) right click on a folder and select properties. click the sharing tab and at the bottom there should be a link that says allow file sharing or some garbage like that. Its then gona ask you if you're sure, and say yes, just let me do it.

You'll need to do this to both computers. Once its turned on, go back to the my network places like i told you.

If still nothing, at least check to see if each computer is seeing eachother. To do this get back into the my network places window and on the left click "show workgroup computers". If you dont see any computers, you're proubably not on the same workgroup.

To check, you'll need to do this to each computer.

start > RIGHT CLICK "my computer" > properties > computer name tab.

see where it say workgroup, then next to it it either says something else (usually WORKGROUP or MSHOME). Make sure both say the same on each computer. if they're different change them to the same with the "change" button on the same page.

then try the my network places again, and if no files show up again , check for computers again, if still nothing, post back here. Post back anyways just so we all know if you've gotten it to work.

Also, what is a bounce-back server or a proxy server?

A bounce-back and proxy server are very similar, just a proxy server is fancyer. A bounce back reads the out going packets (all info sent over your network or internet are in packets). If it gets a packet with a destination for an internal ip (meaning a computer on your network) it will send it back to the correct destination, as that computer doesnt exist on the interet (although it may have internet access it doesnt have the same IP on the internet) .

So you can think of it as a mail man. It reads the packet, sees if it should go to the interent or stay in the network. If it is meant for the internet it lets it go through, otherwise it sends it back, which would then hit the router and go to the correct computer.

A proxy server does the exact same thing (if you set it up to do so) and a whole mess of others. I wont get into every detail it can do, but the most common are: Forbiding Websites, Internet blocker, url redirection, Firewall, and a whole crap load of other things.

hope i could help. :)

thesmart1
08-10-2006, 02:13 AM
We've done all that- checking the workgroup, creating a workgroup, etc. I even tried Add Printer in Pinters and Faxes to search for network printers and I got nothing.

skinner927
08-10-2006, 01:30 PM
whats the model number and manufactuer of your router?

thesmart1
08-10-2006, 05:15 PM
Model number: F5D7230-4
Brand: Belkin

daniel_g
08-10-2006, 08:47 PM
hmmm dunno why they would tell ya it doesn't support networking, maybe they were too lazy to help you out, but a quick search on the internet shows that your router is networking capable(as most, if not all routers are).

Ok, hope you don't feel like you are in an interrogation room, but there are a couple questions more:
When you go to Computer Name on the WinXP computer, and select Change name, it takes you to Computer Name Changes tab right? What do you have for Computer Name(although I guess thats irrevelant) and what do you have under Workgroup?
Can you do the same on the Windows Media Center? If so, whats the computer name there and the workgroup?
I know you told us Network ID is greyed out, but do you get the same problem for computer name Change?
Don't forget to reboot after nay changes are made.

Can't remember if I told you this before, but open Windows Explorer, find the Shared Folder, usually here: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents
right click the folder "Documents", select properties, click sharing tab, and make sure "Share this folder on the Network is selected".
Do the same on both computers. If you want, give a different Share Name on each. That should automatically configure the Windows Firewall.

Once we get file sharing working, then we can move to printer sharing.

thesmart1
08-27-2006, 09:46 PM
XP Home:

Name: DENCOMPUTER
Workgroup: SHORENET
XP MCE:

Name: PJCOMPUTER
Workgroup: SHORENET

There are shared folders on both computers.

daniel_g
08-28-2006, 02:49 AM
If you did the steps I told you before(right clicking the shared folder and enabling sharing on it), you should be able to go to 'My Network Places' and see the shared folders of both computers.
To test it, create a new text document and save it as TEST.txt on the shared folder of the laptop. Now go to the desktop and see if you can find it on My Network Places.

As far as printer sharing:
On the desktop computer(or whichever is hooked up to the printer)Click:
Start---Control Panel---Printer and Faxes
Right click the printer that shows up, and select properties. Click on the sharing tab and select "Share this printer". Then select Aditional Drivers and make sure the one that says XP is selected. You might have several choices, so choose the one that matches the processor of your laptop(intel or AMD).
That should do the printer.
After that i think you can use the Add a Printer Wizzard on the laptop to find the printer on the network.

thesmart1
08-28-2006, 02:03 PM
I go to My Network Places and nothing on the other computer is there. I click View Workgroup Computers, and still nothing. The computers can't "find" each other on the network.

As far as the printer drivers, there's one with an x64 Environment. What is this? I have an AMD Turion 64 processor on my laptop, which is the equivalent of an Intel (Pentium 4, i think?).

daniel_g
08-28-2006, 04:17 PM
Agh I feel like I should have asked this a long time ago: When logging into either computer, do you have to select different users, or does it log in by itself? Sometimes you need to have multiple users or a logon ID for the network to work.

Do me a favor, from the laptop computer click start>run>"cmd"
on the command line, type "ping 192.168.2.2". Does it time out?
If not, then type "ping PJCOMPUTER". Does this one time out?
That's only to check the netBIOS.

thesmart1
08-28-2006, 04:27 PM
192.168.2.2 was successful, PJCOMPUTER (192.168.2.3) timed out.

on DENCOMPUTER, there are multiple accounts, and on PJCOMPUTER, there's only one

daniel_g
08-29-2006, 09:50 PM
About the desktop having only one user, I'm thinking that might be part of the problem, but can any other person on the forum confirm this?

OK, sorry to make you redo the steps, but on the laptop's cmd type this:

ping 192.168.2.3
ping 192.168.2.2 (just in case the ip's changed again)
ping PJCOMPUTER

Don't close the cmd window.
Remember when you right clicked the shared folder and went to properties you had the option to give the folder a name over the network? Suppose you called it "Name" on the desktop

Type on the same cmd window:
net use * \\192.168.2.3\Name
net use * \\192.168.2.2\Name (In case this is the ip of the desktop)

On the top left corner of the cmd window, there should be a little icon next to where it says C:\WINDOWS\System.......
Right click it, go to "Edit", and click "Select All".
You should see everything you tiped highligted. Press Enter. That should copy everything that's displayed. Paste it on the forum.

PS. My sister is visiting next week, she has a Media Center laptop. I will try to share files with her computer to see if I can replicate your problem.

thesmart1
08-29-2006, 11:15 PM
The desktop has 3 users, the LAPTOP has 1

XP Media Center is (i think) the same as XP Pro, just with a media center program and a new display theme.

Results (all from laptop):
ping 192.168.2.3 - 4 Request timed outs
ping 192.168.2.2 - successful
ping PJCOMPUTER - 4 Request timed outs
(i used the folder Media on the laptop)
net use * \\192.168.2.3\Media - System error 53 has occurred. The network path was not found.
net use * \\192.168.2.2\Media - System error 53 has occurred. The network path was not found.

The whole thing is an attachment.

daniel_g
08-30-2006, 02:25 AM
OK, I defenitly need somebody else's brain. How come the pings fail but the laptop knows PJCOMPUTER is 192.168.2.3?
That only confirms they see each other on the network, but there is something preventing the communication.

C:\Documents and Settings\P J>ping PJCOMPUTER

Pinging PJCOMPUTER [192.168.2.3] with 32 bytes of data:

Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 192.168.2.3:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss),

I'm inclined to belive that the problem might be because there is only one user on the laptop computer, but for some reason that just doesn't sound right to me.
But anyways, here is how to troubleshoot that:
On the laptop, click Start - Log Off. Then relog again by clicking the user name. Go to cmd again and redo the steps we did before(pinging the other computer).
No need to post the results if they are the same. If anything at all changes, it would be good to know about it.

If it still fails, all I can think of is running netowork setup wizzard again(do it on the desktop first, then on the laptop), making sure you select "this computer connects to the Internet through a residential gateway...", and "turn on file and printer sharing".

thesmart1
08-31-2006, 05:56 PM
PJCOMPUTER is the LAPTOP
DENCOMPUTER is the DESKTOP

what I did in cmd and posted I did on PJCOMPUTER (the laptop)

daniel_g
09-01-2006, 03:22 AM
Ah ok, so that proves the laptop is the problem, since it wasn't able to even ping itself.

Good news though, since you were able to ping 192.168.2.2, it should now be possible to retrive files from the desktop using the laptop, even if you don't see it on the Network Places. The problem is that it involves using cmd, and it's not a very efficient way of doing it. Hopefully we will get that fixed.

On the laptop, did you try logging off, then back on?
If no, do so, and after you relog, check the network places folder.

Also, where did you get the name "Media" from? The name should have been from the shared folder on the desktop, then try this again from the laptop:
ping DENCOMPUTER
C:\Documents and Settings\P J>net use * \\192.168.2.2\NameHere

thesmart1
09-01-2006, 06:01 AM
OK I pinged (funny-looking word) DENCOMPUTER and that was successful. I did the net use thing for the Shared Documents folder and it wasn't found. I think that's the one that's shared on that computer, but I'll check tomorrow.

BTW Media was the folder i shared on my laptop

daniel_g
09-01-2006, 06:29 AM
"Documents" is the name that you might be looking for instead of "Shared Documents". For some weird reason Windows did that.

:D
Very glad at least one computer sees the other. One hughe step towards printer sharing, which is the most usefull part on a home network.

thesmart1
09-01-2006, 05:45 PM
:D :D I found that it was named SharedDocs (not Shared Documents), and i tried it again and it worked! It opened it as Drive Z, so I went to My Computer, opened it, and everything was there :thumbsup:

Now, do I have to do the net use thing every time I want to connect? Because that takes a while.

daniel_g
09-02-2006, 03:12 AM
Really glad to hear that :cool:

Ideally we wouldn't have to use netuse every time. Right now I'm trying to figure out why wouldn't it work until after using that command. If I fail to figure it out, at least we could attemp to create a small application that will perform the net use command for you, I mean, something that you could just click from the start menu, and it would connect it automatically. We could also go one step further, and make that application run by itself everytime windows starts.
Might sound like a good option, but the problem is if you ever change the desktop computer, it's IP, or even it's name, then you would end up with an application that does nothing.
Or maybe we could create a small script that would be easy to modify.

Right now, to make things easier, copy this:
net use * \\192.168.2.2\SharedDocs
then at command prompt, just right click and select paste.

At this point, the one thing I want you to do is, after using netuse, run the the printer setup wizard, and select "a network printer attached to other computer". Then select "browse" and click next. Did you see the printer attached to DENCOMPUTER?

thesmart1
09-02-2006, 03:32 AM
I'm trying to add the printer (EPSON CX6400) and it says the server doesnt have the right driver. I clicked yes (see the attachment).

thesmart1
09-02-2006, 03:41 AM
:D It worked!

The network drives I created before are still there, even after a restart, but just in case, how do you create that application?

And do I have to have the drive to print?

daniel_g
09-02-2006, 05:33 AM
The network drives I created before are still there, even after a restart, but just in case, how do you create that application?

Let me sleep a little and maybe tomorrow night I will start working on it. Chances are you will see me posting a topic about it requesting help on the programming section, as I'm not very experienced in doing those kind of apps or scripts. But don't worry, I will personally test anything before giving it to you.

And do I have to have the drive to print?
If it's this one, http://reviews-zdnet.com.com/Epson_Stylus_CX6400/4505-3181_16-30527148.html, chances are you will need the drivers.
So on the Desktop computer, go to printers and faxes, select the printer properties, click on the sharing tab, and then click aditional drivers. I think you asked about this before, but I forgot to answer. x64 is mostly used for AMD, while IA-64 is for the intel based processors with 64 bits.
In your case, you need x64.

thesmart1
09-02-2006, 06:50 AM
Map Network Drive works the same as net use, and it lets you pick a drive letter and select to reconnect at logon, so don't bother with the app. And I got the printer to work and I printed a test page--it's even pretty fast, too. So I apparently don't need extra drivers (I guess I took care of that when I clicked ok a few posts back in that "server doesn't have the right driver" dialog box).

daniel_g
09-02-2006, 09:01 PM
:eek: Now that's something I didn't know. Net use also lets you select a drive letter if you specify, though I gotta admit MND is way easier to use.

thesmart1
09-03-2006, 06:35 AM
lol :) I feel smart now...

EUSkiller
09-04-2006, 03:59 AM
Go buy XP Pro, back up you profile and any important files on your hard disk and image it. Home and Media Edition cause more problems then they're worth.

thesmart1
09-05-2006, 04:21 PM
I haven't noticed any problems. And I like the Media Center; it's one of the many reasons I bought this computer :thumbsup:

wutzpost
09-06-2006, 03:51 PM
umm

----------
Need cash fast? Click Here (http://www.tkqlhce.com/click-2113780-10376304) to apply for a payday loan and get up to $1000 in 24 hours

thesmart1
09-06-2006, 09:56 PM
I just thought of something... You have to wonder if Map Network Drive would have worked if I didn't do net use? Add network place didnt work until afterwards.

daniel_g
09-06-2006, 10:47 PM
My sis just showed up(and like I said she has XPMC), tried Map Network Drive from the beggining. It worked and had no complications.
I assume they are the same, since in the end you end up getting the same results.
In net use you have more functions though, like you can actually choose ports LPT1 - LPT3 instead of a drive.
It will also do other functions that I'm not familiar with.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum