View Full Version : Google ranking WAAAY down!?

gerb
07-22-2006, 12:12 PM
Hi,

If you do a search for "Zoe Tyler" on Google, a website I look after - www.zoetyler.com - does not get listed until page 31! Why is this? Up until a couple of weeks ago it was number one, now it's all the way down.

Admittedly, I have recently changed host and transferred the domain and site structure, so the domain was down for a while - could this be the problem? If so, how long before it goes back to the top again? The cached pages are out of date.

All code is 4.01 compliant according to W3C validation...

Any way I can help it back to the top ASAP?

Thanks

VIPStephan
07-22-2006, 12:29 PM
Any way I can help it back to the top ASAP?

Yeah: Don't use flash!
If you have a website entirely made of a flash movie there's no text to index for the searchbots. A good web developer should know this nowadays as the current fashion to code websites is going towards validity and accessibility. Your page may be valid but it's certainly not accessible to text-only browsers, screen readers, or mobile devices (no mouse - no access?).

Also a good way to get a beter ranking is to have numerous links to this website from other well ranked pages.

So my advice would be to at least provide an alternative HTML only version. Then you might raise from the ashes again. :)

gerb
07-22-2006, 12:32 PM
Thanks. But it's been at the top before in the same format - ie a flash movie, so that really shouldn't make too much difference. It's never been a text based website, but a text alternative would be a good idea I guess.

Do you think it's just the fact it was down for a while?

Spookster
07-22-2006, 01:35 PM
Do you think it's just the fact it was down for a while?

Yes. How long was it down for and long ago? If google came back and couldn't find your site obviously it would remove you. I'd give it at least a month or more to revisit your site.

gerb
07-22-2006, 01:43 PM
It was down for over a week while the registrar transfer took place. It's been back up for about 1 month, so hopefully it'll come back to the top soonish...

What happens if I keep making changes to the code on the index page? Is this a bad idea in terms of search engines? I make the odd tweak occasional to ensure valid code - is this OK to do?

Thanks..

vinyl-junkie
07-22-2006, 05:15 PM
What happens if I keep making changes to the code on the index page? Is this a bad idea in terms of search engines? I make the odd tweak occasional to ensure valid code - is this OK to do?
As long as the search engines can read the code, there is no harm at all in doing this.

gerb
08-29-2007, 11:35 AM
Fixed.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum