View Full Version : Thunderbird problems

firepages
07-01-2006, 03:14 AM
Hi , thunderbird is SLOW ... at least it is lately, I think its mainly down to the SPAM filtering .. I do get an awful lot of SPAM .. and I really mean a lot... 500+ each day & I think that thunderbird is labouring over checking for SPAM... perhaps its lists of blocked addresses or however thunderbird does it is too big ?

Its to the point now where checking my mail is a real pain & can take a fair while to accomplish... I have compacted everyting I can, I have followed all the optimisation tips I have seen (deleting mailbox indexes & recreating etc) and it all points to the SPAM filtering as the bottleneck.... anyone have any suggestions ? ... cos its driving me mad .. I would not go back to outlook if you paid me but I am getting cranky :)

Spookster
07-01-2006, 03:46 AM
Are you running Windows or Linux?

firepages
07-01-2006, 04:08 AM
both! , ... but mail folders are on a local debian box (mapped via samba for windows) (so I can use the same mailbox whatever I am running at the time and if I am remote on the lappy (also has ubuntu and XP)) .. , that in itself might introduce a general lag but I am getting the same issue on XP and ubuntu ... and no ...only one copy of thunderbird would be running at any one time.

mostly I am running thunderbird itself in XP

Spookster
07-01-2006, 05:12 AM
Hmm I only run Thunderbird on my linux box. I poll 4 different email accounts but I only get maybe about a dozen or two spam emails a day between the 4 accounts. Maybe it's time for a new email address? If this email account is through an ISP do they offer any spam filtering before it reaches you? I poll my Gmail and Earthlink email accounts and they both filter out spam before it reaches my box. Whatever they don't catch Thunderbird catches.

jkd
07-01-2006, 06:17 AM
This might sound like a horror story waiting to happen, but try disabling the spam filter for a day and see if it is still slow.

Alternatively, from my experience Mail.app, Thunderbird, and Opera Mail are all *very* slow when it comes to processing messages with large attachments. Maybe it isn't the quantity of the incoming spam, but rather the spam with large attachments (which I get often enough) which is slowing it down. If that is the case, you can actually set Thunderbird to only download messages up to X kb from the POP3 server (where X is less than some reasonable amount... 40kb?), and then the spam filter might be considerably faster.

firepages
07-03-2006, 05:29 PM
yeah horror story alright ;)

BUT disabling the spam heuistics has made the difference .. on win32 I disabled the incoming antivirus as well (avast) .

I first tried downloading headers only which I assumed would have the same effect as limiting message size but that did not work :(

My spam problems are of my own making, I used to think wildcard email addresses were cool :( (and once even convinced myself they were useful for tracking SPAM)

I might just take the plunge and bounce all but a couple of account names and lose all the aliases etc .. but I am bound to lose email that way.. I do have spamassassin on my servers but that seems to either stop too much or not enough depending on the configurations I try.

Thanks for the push in the right direction!

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum