PDA

View Full Version : populate drop down from mysql with php part II

joviyach
06-25-2006, 04:23 AM
I have this working sort of, but I still can't figure out why it is skipping the "uniqid" field. Does it not work if the field is an auto_incrementing INT value or something?

Also, where do I add the "form action" elements to this code to allow the user to actually submit after selecting?

<?php

//connect to MySQL

$connect = mysql_connect("localhost","xxx","xxx") or
die ("Could not connect to database.");

//choose the database

mysql_select_db("peoplelist");

//get data from database

$query = mysql_query(
"SELECT `uniqid`,
`firstname`,
`lastname`
FROM `people`
ORDER BY `lastname` ASC"
) or die (mysql_error());

echo "<select name='people'>\n";

while ($data = mysql_fetch_array($query, MYSQL_ASSOC))
{
echo " <option value='{$data['uniqid']}'>{$data['lastname']},
{$data['firstname']}</option>\n";
}

echo "</select>\n";

?>

chump2877
06-25-2006, 07:07 AM
I have this working sort of, but I still can't figure out why it is skipping the "uniqid" field. Does it not work if the field is an auto_incrementing INT value or something?

Also, where do I add the "form action" elements to this code to allow the user to actually submit after selecting?

didnt test this or anything but see if it works better for you:

echo "<form name='form1' method='post' action='script.php'>\n";

echo "<select name='people'>\n";

while ($data = mysql_fetch_assoc($query))
{
echo "<option value='".$data['uniqid']."'>".$data['lastname'].",".$data['firstname']."</option>\n";
}

echo "</select>\n";

echo "<input type='submit' name='submit' value='Submit'>\n";

echo "</form>\n";

joviyach
06-25-2006, 07:29 PM
That worked great!

One more problem to solve then I am good to go I think. Most of this stuff can all be recycled and used over and over thoughout the application once it actually works correctly, but I still can't figure out why the crop down completely ignores the "uniqid" when populating from the database...

joviyach
06-30-2006, 02:49 AM
I think I know what is wrong with this, but I don't know the syntax of how to fix it. I have to comvert the uniqid value from an INT to CHAR or VARCHAR so it will work. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Jim