View Full Version : INSERT vs. UPDATE while going back to double check...

losse
06-21-2006, 02:59 AM
Hi there

-On page 1 of a registration form I have an INSERT quiery to input the data in the DB.
-On page 2 I have an UPDATE for additional fields
-On page 3 I also have an UPDATE statement for remaining fields

On page 4 it's the confirm page to make sure the data is right for the user. It's basically a SELECT quiery

My question is, if the user were to go back to page 1 and make some changes, would that basically create an issue since there is an "INSERT" quiery and not an "UPDATE" quiery?

Because basically, once the user clicks on "next" to go to page 2, the user ID is already created and for those fields, the INSERT quiery inputs the data...

Wouldn't a second INSERT create an additional user ID?

thanks

Brandoe85
06-21-2006, 03:28 AM
Yeah, you're going to have to account for situtations like that.

losse
06-21-2006, 11:54 AM
What would be the best way to solve this issue?

Is there a way that the info can be "held" right up until the confirmation page and then do one INSERT?!

Fumigator
06-21-2006, 12:15 PM
You could use $cookie or $session variables to accomplish that. Or, you could just carry a primary unique ID through each page and check to see if that ID exists before inserting.

losse
06-21-2006, 12:31 PM
fumigator...so there wouldn't be an insert (or update) up untli the end of the registration process (page 4) and on page 4 there would be a submit?

And I hold all that data through a SESSION up until the last page?

missing-score
06-21-2006, 12:33 PM
I think that would be the best way, hold it in the session up until the last page... also, that way if someone doesn't complete registration you don't have a half-finished record left in the DB.

losse
06-21-2006, 12:52 PM
I've never done this before...

I've done a session start at the beginning but what would be a sample script that would hold the data up until the last page?

Thanks

felgall
06-21-2006, 09:54 PM
To copy the fields posted by the previous page into the session you just use:

$_SESSION('fieldname') = $_POST('fieldname');

losse
06-21-2006, 10:48 PM
Great thanks felgall... So I do that for all the fields which basically carries all the fields over until the last page (of 3 pages worth of registration information) and in the last page I create an insert?

Do I need an insert script when I carry over the data in a SESSION in the first few pages??

Raraken
06-22-2006, 01:31 AM
One thing you can do is a SELECT statement on the first page to see if the information is already there; if theres info in the database, just skip inserting the info.

losse
06-22-2006, 02:44 AM
So generally speaking, when you do a $_SESSION('fieldname') = $_POST('fieldname'); to pass data in a session, on that page do you insert? Or do you wait until the final page to do the insert?

Fumigator
06-22-2006, 05:11 AM
Generally speaking, you'd wait until the user has entered all of the data he needs to enter, and you have validated all of that data, and then insert the validated data into a database.

losse
06-22-2006, 12:16 PM
Great... I'll try out the new code...I'll get back with the results.

Thanks for your help!!

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum