View Full Version : How to make a search option?

10-30-2002, 06:22 PM
Can anyone tell me how to make a basic search option, just a input box and a submit button. I don't even know what language to use. Any help would be great!

Thanks, Drew.

10-30-2002, 06:34 PM

if you are just searching inside a page you could use something like the scripts here:

if you need to search a whole site you'll need to use a server side language like PHP etc...

heres a helpful link from JavaScript kit:

hope this helps...:thumbsup:

10-31-2002, 12:57 AM
There is also the option of using JavaScript to search a file where you yourself input the information allowed to be searched. The site from my signature link has an example of this in the search bar on the left. (Try just typing in 'a' to see a good example)

10-31-2002, 11:43 AM
Press control and f on any web page - type in the word or words and press enter.

On a serious note, I'd go for the JavaScript option if you are only searching a small site.

I have a tool that I use, works like this.

A js file that contains the following: words to be searched by, link explanation, link
This is repeated for all search words/sentances etc.

A popup window split into 2 frames, 1 where you type the word or words and the other where the results display. All links open in the parent window.

10-31-2002, 01:47 PM
Yeah, tommy, that is about the same as the one on my site. You make a good point to use JS on a small site.

10-31-2002, 06:54 PM
Master.com do seem to do a lot... but it isn't for me.