View Full Version : reconnect to the internet

06-13-2006, 08:52 PM
Hey does anyone know of any possible way that a computer that disconnects from the internet can have a program(like a batch file) running to check every 5 mins or so and then reconnect it.
The problem is that it is wireless and its to far away from the router so it sometimes discopnnects. All I have to do to get it back online is Right click on the network icon and press repair.
Could somebody tell me how to run a check for it every 5 mins and then run the repair command?

The one and only,

06-13-2006, 10:29 PM
Well I suppose you could make a batch file that would do:

ipconfig /release <connection name>
ipconfig /renew <connection name>

And use the windows task scheduler to run it every 5 minutes. This solution isn't very elegant but it would do it. However is it not possible to either increase the range on the access point, move it closer or put another one in?

06-14-2006, 12:07 AM
nope thats not possible.
See, I am 14 years old and so the router goes in moms office at the other end of the house from my room. I need this server to be in my room because it has all my music on it.
The reason I want it to be on the internet is so that It can run off of a different port with my domain. So my music is evreywhere.

The one and only,

06-14-2006, 12:16 AM
Just tried that... Didnt work because I am not using dhcp. I have all internal ip's static.

The one and only,

06-14-2006, 01:25 AM
And getting a long piece of Cat5e Patch cable just isn't a viable solution I take it? Well you could get another access point - that'd increase the signal strength and range.

06-15-2006, 12:07 AM
Maybe you could get your mom to upgrade to a pre-n router.
But in any case, I personally like the cat5 cable better than a wireless solution.