View Full Version : mixing php and javascript for a "refreshless" window

jeromepelletier
06-11-2006, 11:06 PM
not really sure if this should go in javascript or php so i did a inni mini minee moo (spelling?) Im just wondering if its practical to use a series of hidden iframes and onclicks to make a php page "streamless" or "refeshless" aka, it doesnt "reload" or appead to be, you dont get the white refresh :)

GJay
06-11-2006, 11:21 PM
yes,google for 'ajax'.

jeromepelletier
06-11-2006, 11:48 PM
yes,google for 'ajax'.
guessing its a easier way of what i planned on doing, ive heard of ajax, but never really studied it. Thanks.

marek_mar
06-12-2006, 12:24 AM
AJAX is javascript (or a detergent).

jeromepelletier
06-12-2006, 01:39 AM
AJAX is javascript (or a detergent).
yeah, from what ive been reading..its going to be hard to convert my site :(

Any recommended links that are tuts? found a couple...but there not the basic things to start with
THanks

JustinSainton
06-13-2006, 08:42 PM
Somewhat recently I had to do the same thing for a site I made awhile back. It's at StephenCastillo.com. I had to make all the navigation in AJAX in order to include a Flash music player that wouldn't refresh everytime you went to a new page. Check out the source code there and you might figure it out.

Sathi
06-13-2006, 08:51 PM
The AJAX tutorials never really made any sense to me until I read this one

http://rajshekhar.net/blog/archives/85-Rasmus-30-second-AJAX-Tutorial.html

Its not that difficult once you get it and it really is the way to go. I split up the response from the server just like in this example, so there isn't any xml involved.

GJay
06-13-2006, 08:52 PM
Adding AJAX functionality after a site is built has a lot of things to be said for it, as it will mean that the core functionality won't rely on javascript.

Obviously, if you're able to do both 'standard' and ajax'd developement at the same time, you'll probably end up with a more cohesive and sound application, but many people seem to rely on XMLHttpRequest instead of traditional methods, which in the majority of cases just isn't (currently...) acceptable.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum