View Full Version : create dynamic rss menu in firefox extension.

adam.tropics
06-08-2006, 02:49 PM
Hey,

I already have an extension working which adds a menu to the main menu for specific static bookmarks, just like the bookmarks menu. In that menu, a tiny javascript takes the url and obviously nvigates to the relevant page. All nice and simple, and working.

Now I am excesively new to this and would like to add one section to the menu for live bookmarks.

As far as I can figure, it would require a js function which when called, accepted the rss url as input, and then took the first say 10 live items and create a submenu (embedded in th extension menu) containing navigable links to those 10 items.

The problem is not so much that i need it doing for me, its just I really don't know where to start. I have looked for js tutorials, all good, but any search relating to adding this behaviour to a personal extension just leads me to one of a million 'how to add a live bookmark in firefox'!!

So could anyone please give the very very new guy a pointer in the right direction. Just a starting point would be perfect,

Many thanks

Fireblazer
04-05-2009, 02:50 AM
Hey,

I've been trying to do something similar to this. I've been reading about parsing RSS with JavaScript and found this:

http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2006/09/13/rss-and-ajax-a-simple-news-reader.html?page=1

Between this and a little creativity, you should be able to do it.
I'll post if I ever finish my project.

Good luck,
Fireblazer

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum