View Full Version : PCWorld top 10 security suites (May 2006)

WA
05-30-2006, 02:14 AM
Well, there's nothing more important than keeping your computer secure if you rely on it for your livelihood. PCworld has come out with a list of the top 10 security suites for May 2006. http://pcworld.com/reviews/article/0,aid,125857,00.asp

I've always found Norton to be sluggish, but I guess if it's as good as the reviews say, it's worth sticking to for now.

oracleguy
05-30-2006, 02:45 AM
Yeah I've found Norton to be a little clunky. Too bad they can't make their single user copies like their enterprise versions, those are great, no fuss, does its job with out all the extra graphical frills or annoyances.

Spookster
05-30-2006, 03:10 AM
Those prices are getting outrageous. I'm glad I don't have to worrry about viruses anymore.

WA
05-30-2006, 05:31 AM
How come Spookster? Is the US government using some sort of operating system immune to viruses that it's not sharing?

Spookster
05-30-2006, 05:56 AM
How come Spookster? Is the US government using some sort of operating system immune to viruses that it's not sharing?

Yeah it's called Linux. :eek:

rpgfan3233
05-30-2006, 07:15 PM
I picked up on that after looking at his sig (not to be confused with "ZIG", as in "MOVE ZIG"). :p

DavidB
05-31-2006, 05:56 PM
I don't care for Norton myself.
It DOES slow a computer down, does not provide the best security, and their sales structure is extremely irritating. Unless they change drastically, I'll stick with Kaspersky.

Regards,

David

rpgfan3233
05-31-2006, 06:43 PM
I picked up on that after looking at his sig (not to be confused with "ZIG", as in "MOVE ZIG"). :p
BTW, for those who don't know and might be concerned, StarOffice finally has caught a bug:
http://www.neowin.net/index.php?act=view&id=33356

Update (2006 Jun 02):
For those who don't realize, the "proof of concept" macro virus currently affecting StarOffice also has the potential to affect OpenOffice.org, so make sure that your kids, if you have any, do not download anything from an unknown source. Hopefully this doesn't inspire virus creators. :(

goughy000
06-02-2006, 10:49 AM
i dont use any of those top 10.. on my laptop i have... no security

on my desktop i have... antiVIR (its free :D) but no firewall

i do have an inbound firewall on my router but trojan horses.. feel free to take my laptop

JamieR
06-02-2006, 11:06 AM
Hmmm.....on my main pc, my lan server, my bro's pc, my laptop and my Linux box I have no firewalls whatsoever. I'm relying on my hardware firewall built into my router for the firewall side of things.
In terms of Antivirus, then I'm running AVG File Server edition.

Antivir is crap, I tried it ages ago :D - and some people know me for hating anything thats classed as a security application from Norton - well Symantec who develop Norton stuff. Norton Antivirus is plain trash.

SteelValor
06-02-2006, 07:27 PM
Norton has a rootkit! ... if you think you're safe on linux just because it's not windows you're probably serving up the kill bill dvd to whiterhino and don't even know it. I think I've seen more linux vulnerability warning emails in my inbox than M$ vulnerability. Need proof? Secunia.com :o

_Aerospace_Eng_
06-02-2006, 07:52 PM
Norton has a rootkit! ... if you think you're safe on linux just because it's not windows you're probably serving up the kill bill dvd to whiterhino and don't even know it. I think I've seen more linux vulnerability warning emails in my inbox than M$ vulnerability. Need proof? Secunia.com :o
Which is why you are advised to make a non root account because most of the vulnerabilities happen through the root account.

SteelValor
06-02-2006, 09:21 PM
Which is why you are advised to make a non root account because most of the vulnerabilities happen through the root account.

Exactly :D and I'll pink belly the next person who I catch checking their email from root! ;D

Spookster
06-02-2006, 10:14 PM

I figured at least one person would comment and say oh linux is no more safe than windows. If you knew anything about the world of linux you would know that what you said was wrong.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum