View Full Version : what picture format is better?

05-28-2006, 07:20 PM
When talking about load time and bandwidth (so i guess the size of a picture) which is the best format? IE...gif..png..jpeg

Whats the best still picture (1 frame) and best animation one (multiple frames in 1 picture)

05-28-2006, 07:25 PM
It depends on colors but I use gifs for most of my images because bright colors usually come out well with gifs. Pngs are better quality but color wise vary among different browsers. PNGs can support alpha transparency but getting to work in IE takes a bit of work. I like JPG for pictures of people and stuff, they tend to come out clearer. Gifs are the only format that can do animations. I still like gif. As long as there aren't any shadow effects on a transparent background gifs should do fine. Quality is okay and file size is decent too. You will need a decent graphics program to save gifs properly though. MS Paint isn't going to cut it.

06-02-2006, 03:42 PM
Use "save for web" in photoshop, you can decide which one's the best. Generally, jpeg are best for photographs. For types, logos, etc., gif is usually the better choice.

06-02-2006, 11:25 PM
For animated images GIF is the only option.
For partial transparency PNG is the only option.
More than 256 colours PNG or JPEG are the only options.

After that you select whichever gives the smallest size.