View Full Version : Connecting to localhost

ttttt
05-28-2006, 12:20 PM
Hi,
Does anyone know if it's possible to connect to localhost using an ftp client? I'm using filezilla and have been trying for a while but am not getting anywhere.
Thanks

vinyl-junkie
05-28-2006, 05:32 PM
You can use localhost to connect to a MySQL database, but only if it resides on the same server that MySQL is running on. I've never heard of connecting to a database or anything else via FTP using localhost. What exactly are you trying to do?

barreledaction
05-28-2006, 08:13 PM
Hate to jump into your query but I want to connect to a mysql database also. I have windows 98SE and just (with some difficulty) installed PWS. I have witten some .asp programs I want to access & use from there. I keep reading about paths, directories & virtual directories; just don't understand what I'm reading. What does it take to use the .asp files I have on MyDocuments...anyone? barreledaction@bellsouth.net

oracleguy
05-28-2006, 08:40 PM
You can use localhost to connect to a MySQL database, but only if it resides on the same server that MySQL is running on. I've never heard of connecting to a database or anything else via FTP using localhost. What exactly are you trying to do?

Database? Maybe its just still too early in the morning but the OP never said anything about a database.

You can connect to an ftp server that is on the same machine using localhost. What is the specific error that filezilla is giving you?

KevinADC
05-28-2006, 11:00 PM

filezilla is an FTP client, filezilla server is an FTP/SFTP server.

KevinADC
05-28-2006, 11:09 PM
Database? Maybe its just still too early in the morning but the OP never said anything about a database.

You can connect to an ftp server that is on the same machine using localhost. What is the specific error that filezilla is giving you?

I think he is trying to use filezilla, the FTP client, to connect to localhost, which is an http server, not an FTP server. Maybe it can still connect to localhost though, but I am not sure.

ttttt
05-29-2006, 04:05 PM
I think he is trying to use filezilla, the FTP client, to connect to localhost, which is an http server, not an FTP server. Maybe it can still connect to localhost though, but I am not sure.
That's what I was trying to do but it sounds like I need to use some kind of ftp server to do it.
Thanks for all of the replies :thumbsup:

ttttt
05-29-2006, 04:37 PM
Thanks for all of the help, I've worked out how to do it. You do need to use an ftp server.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum