View Full Version : click link - open site in _blank - close page..

keentolearn
05-26-2006, 10:13 AM
Hi all

i have searched for help on this, i hope i havent missed the answer - here goes..

is it possible to have a link that when you click on opens the link in a new browser window and closes the orginal window

i know:

<a href="../page-name.html" target="_blank">link</a>

will open the url in a blank window - but how to close the first window at the same time?

thanks for any help
as ever
keen to learn..

Flic
05-26-2006, 10:15 AM
onClick="javascript:window.close"

keentolearn
05-26-2006, 10:20 AM
hi

thanks for the help

so how do i combine the js to do both open the link in a new browser window and close the first browser?

thanks again
keen to learn..

Flic
05-26-2006, 12:38 PM
<a href="../page-name.html" target="_blank" onClick="javascript:window.close();">link</a>

Bill Posters
05-26-2006, 02:06 PM
<a href="../page-name.html" target="_blank" onClick="javascript:window.close();">link</a>

Firstly, that's unlikely to work because most browsers disallow* the use of js to close windows which weren't created using js.
(* I recall seeing someone post a js method to 'trick' into allowing it FF, but I can't recall it. There is also a method to trick IE6 into allowing it, but I think that vulnerability was closed down in either an IE6 point upgrade or possibly the SP2 XP upgrade.
You might find it by searching here or Googling around.)

Secondly…
onClick="javascript:window.…

The 'on' events are already capable of handling js directly, so you really don't need to invoke the javascript protocol as well.

i.e.

<a href="../page-name.html" target="_blank" onClick="window.close();">link</a>

…though, like I said, it won't work without the tricks; and even then, it's still unlikely to work reliably x-browser.
Personally, unless this is for an intranet situation, I wouldn't even attempt to close the main window.
You risk upsetting a user's browser session and they may thank you for it by leaving your site never to return.
I've never heard of someone leaving a site never to return because they didn't close the main window.

Open a new window if you feel that you must, but try to avoid messing about with the user's main window.

keentolearn
05-26-2006, 02:18 PM
hi flic / bill

thanks for the posts - its a strange request i know and asked for a pretty unique reason.

i will have to think of another way to make this work.

thanks for the time.

as ever
keen to learn..

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum