View Full Version : Screen Resolution

ho0dsoldier
05-19-2006, 10:52 PM
im havin trouble with my screen resolution i cant even change it the slider wont even move i dont even know what i may have did to mess it but if anyone can help me i would appreciate it

JamieR
05-20-2006, 12:07 AM
Have you got the drivers for your graphics card installed properly? That's usually the first port of call.
What graphics card do you have and what is the current settings in terms of resolution and colours?

ho0dsoldier
05-20-2006, 06:09 AM
i dont know nothin about all that all i know is that my settings 680x 480 and the slider to change it wont move

_Aerospace_Eng_
05-20-2006, 07:56 AM
Do you know your computer model at least?

felgall
05-20-2006, 08:06 AM
Sounds like you don't have the right graphics driver installed so it is picking up the default VGA one that only allows 640x480 with 16 colours. You will need to reinstall the graphics driver to fix it.

ho0dsoldier
05-20-2006, 04:53 PM
um how do i install it and i have windows Xp

_Aerospace_Eng_
05-20-2006, 05:23 PM
Sighs. Do you even know the model of your computer? If you did we could more than likely tell you EXACTLY what drivers you would need. So again do you know the model of your computer? It should be on the front of your PC case somewhere or if its a laptop it should be around the keyboard somewhere.

ho0dsoldier
05-20-2006, 08:10 PM
nope not really all i know is i have a dell i got my comuter from somebody i dont exactly wha do u mean by model

_Aerospace_Eng_
05-20-2006, 08:21 PM
There is a number on the front of the computer near the power button. Its the model of the system. Tell us that number.

oracleguy
05-20-2006, 08:29 PM
It might also have a word and a number and possibly some letters.

And if that fails, if it is a Dell, try and find the service tag sticker on it. It should be on the outside of the case some place with a short service tag string made up of letters and numbers, that'd work too.

ubik
05-21-2006, 02:23 AM
you can still get Lavalys Everest Home Edition for free here:

http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/System-Info/Everest-Home-Edition.shtml

it is a Free System Diagnostics software. If and Once you install it you can go to the Display menu item and click on the PCI/AGP Video submenu item. Under "Device Type" you should find your "Video Adapter" or "3D accelerator" hardware listed. To the left of it, under "Device Description", This is most likely the make and model of your video card or onboard. My first choice would be, to go to the Manufacturer's website and find the appropriate drivers there. But if they no longer exist, or for whatever reason you cannot obtain it through them, then do a google search with the text from the description and add the keyword "driver" to the search.

also make sure the ones you download and install are made specifically for your Operating System, windows XP is it?
good luck.

ho0dsoldier
05-21-2006, 04:32 PM
oh it say dimension 2400 it that whatchu mean

JamieR
05-21-2006, 05:42 PM
http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/devices.aspx?c=us&cs=555&l=en&s=biz&SystemID=DIM_PNT_P4_CEL_2400&os=WW1&osl=EN#

that's the page that has the various drivers for the Dell Dimenson 2400. Under "video drivers" (graphics card drivers) there are 4 different integrated graphics cards listed. We need to know the exact one before you download and install a driver.

ho0dsoldier
05-21-2006, 06:28 PM
i need the that can fix my screen resolution cuz it ont let me change it

_Aerospace_Eng_
05-21-2006, 08:12 PM
Yeah we know that dude but if you install the wrong one its not going to work. Get the program that ubik told you to get so you can tell use your graphics card model.

JamieR
05-21-2006, 10:08 PM
One of them drivers listed under video drivers on that page will work, it's just installing the right one. If you install the wrong driver for something, you can end up with all sorts of problems you'd rather not have. I'd be willing to say to you download all 4 and install one, reboot, see if it works etc - like trial and error, however I won't suggest doing that as it sounds that you're pretty new to this kinda stuff. Installing the correct driver the first time is the best thing to do and that's why we're suggesting that you source the actual graphics card model that you have.

ho0dsoldier
05-22-2006, 04:22 AM
i did what he said and i see intel extreme graphics im sorry if i sound real stupid but i dont knoe anything about computers im so sorry

quibs
05-22-2006, 05:14 AM
click start then all programs then accessories/system tools /click on system information then in the right colum click the little plus next to components then click display and tell them the name that comes up .

_Aerospace_Eng_
05-22-2006, 08:25 AM
Using EVEREST Home Edition look at the Windows Video part. It should give you a device description and possibly the drivers installed, and maybe the link to those drivers. You could always run http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com better hope your windows xp is legit because they do check.

ho0dsoldier
05-22-2006, 05:33 PM
i did what he said i didnt see nothin when i clicked display

_Aerospace_Eng_
05-22-2006, 08:07 PM
You click Windows Video in EVEREST? Is there someone in the house that is more computer savvy that can help you? Possibly a friend?

ho0dsoldier
05-22-2006, 10:05 PM
im just me ima figure it somehow but thanks for the help im keep trying till i get it though maybe im doing something wrong

quibs
05-23-2006, 05:10 AM
you have installed the microsoft windows graphics update for your dell unfortunatly this is what happens as it doesnt work and it causes this problem you have try here .
http://support.euro.dell.com/support/index.aspx?c=uk&l=en&s=dhs&~ck=mn
ps disable windows update do it manually and untick your driver update next time.
at least this is what i think happend.

ho0dsoldier
05-23-2006, 10:41 PM
thanks i fixed the problem now i got a another ? are there any drivers that can fix how webcams etc look cause my webcam showed fine and now it doesnt and all the setting are on default ?

_Aerospace_Eng_
05-23-2006, 11:12 PM
What was the problem? Which drivers did you install? As far as your camera goes well its kind of the same story, find out what model you have, might say somewhere on it or on the box if you still have it, go to the manufacturer's website and get the drivers for it. Did it come with an install disc? That would have your drivers on it as well. Did you recently reformat or something? Do you even know what reformat means? Why are you using such a small font to type on the forums, keep it the default, makes it easier to read.

ho0dsoldier
05-25-2006, 02:15 AM
my webcam is on default and for some reason it wont show good i got a mismension 2400 and no i dont have the instal disc no more and no i dont know what reformat mean

ho0dsoldier
05-25-2006, 02:15 AM
dimension 2400*

chilipie
05-25-2006, 08:19 AM
You could've used the edit button ;)

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum