View Full Version : VERY old computer

kcornelius
05-16-2006, 10:56 PM
How would you connect to the internet using high speed if there's no ethernet connection on the back of the computer? I was thinking that I would need to get a router?:confused:

_Aerospace_Eng_
05-16-2006, 11:00 PM
The router won't do any good if you have no ethernet connection. Does it even have usb ports? You can buy a PC network card at any electronic store. Perhaps you should tell us how old this PC is. Give us the specs.

kcornelius
05-16-2006, 11:02 PM
It's approx 6 or 7 years old and it has 2 usb ports.

_Aerospace_Eng_
05-16-2006, 11:06 PM
Is that all you know about it? What operating system is on it (the system in which you are operating <--joke btw)? You can contact your isp and see if they can give you a usb cable for the connect, some modems have usb and ethernet cable connections. Easiest thing to do would probably put in a network card. Not hard to do really. You could buy a wireless router and then buy a usb wireless adapter (bit pricy).

oracleguy
05-16-2006, 11:07 PM
Is it a desktop or a laptop?

kcornelius
05-16-2006, 11:11 PM
I'm sorry about not giving all the specs...it's operating on windows 98 and I'm not sure how much memory it has or anything like that(honestly I haven't even hooked it up, once I saw there was no ethernet connection)

_Aerospace_Eng_
05-16-2006, 11:20 PM
PC or Laptop? I'm going to guess PC. I told you what you could do, now its up to you to actually do it. If its a laptop you can get a PCIMIA card if it even has that slot. I think there are usb to ethernet converters out there as well.

bcarl314
05-16-2006, 11:37 PM
If it's Win98, and 6+ years old, make sure your USB (if that's what you go with) card supports USB1.0 as I'd be surprised if your Win98 box supports 2.0

oracleguy
05-17-2006, 05:01 PM
If its a laptop you can get a PCIMIA card if it even has that slot.

Unless it was a super cheap laptop, I'd bet that it does, PCMCIA has been around on laptop for quite a long time. And if is a laptop, buying a PCMCIA wired ethernet adapter isn't going to be too expensive at all.

asdayasman13
05-22-2006, 05:02 PM
What about if the PCMCIA slot's only 16-bit? (w/o the little rivets on the end)

Truffle
06-04-2006, 03:34 AM
SMC makes a USB/Ethernet Controller. Basically you just plug an ethernet cord from your router to the thumbsized USB device and can connect that way.

http://www.smc.com/index.cfm?event=viewProduct&localeCode=EN_USA&cid=9&scid=51&pid=279

Used that thing to gain access to the net on all sorts of machines loaded with viruses and spyware. Especially Windows 98 machines that lacked the ethernet connection.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum