View Full Version : Urgent - problem with browsers while parsing innerHTML

ak_jsohi4u
05-09-2006, 02:40 PM
Hii,

I am trying to parse the innerHTML like this...

//InnerHTML = "<INPUT id=TreeViewPR1_TreeView1n14CheckBox title=Hostage type=checkbox CHECKED name=TreeViewPR1_TreeView1n14CheckBox>
//<SPAN class=\"TreeViewPR1_TreeView1_0 TreeViewPR1_TreeView1_1\" id=TreeViewPR1_TreeView1t14 title='Extract This string'>Hostage</SPAN>"

function AddNodeid(InnerHTML)
{

var TitleIndex=InnerHTML.lastIndexOf("title=");

if (TitleIndex > 0)
{
var SubString= InnerHTML.substring(TitleIndex+6, InnerHTML.length+1);

var EndIndex=SubString.indexOf("id="); // For Firefox

if(EndIndex <=0)
EndIndex=SubString.indexOf(">"); // For IE

var Nodeid=SubString.substring(0, EndIndex);

alert(Nodeid);
}
else
alert("No NodeId");
}

the problems are becoz of browsers..

Firefox interchanges the positions of title and id in <SPAN> tag...

and another prob with this code is that IE returns id without quotes( i.e 01) but FF returnsin double quotes(i.e "01").

can you tell why this happens and is there a way by which I can directly get
title, value pair.:confused:

Thanks in advance..

Cheerio
Abhishek

Kor
05-09-2006, 03:13 PM
innerHTML is not a standard DOM method, thus it can not insert the new elements into the DOM page's tree. use DOM methods to append new elements.

ak_jsohi4u
05-09-2006, 03:24 PM
innerHTML is not a standard DOM method, thus it can not insert the new elements into the DOM page's tree. use DOM methods to append new elements.
Hi Kor,

Thanks for replying,
Actually I am not trying to insert anything , ijust want to parse this string(innerHTML) and retrieve the value of 'title' of <SPAN> tag(i.e "Extract this Text"), this funct is working but there are some prob with firefox...

Hope I am more clear now...

Cheerio
Abhishek

jscheuer1
05-09-2006, 05:18 PM
alert(document.getElementById('TreeViewPR1_TreeView1t14').title)

jscheuer1
05-10-2006, 05:06 AM
BTW, I should add that I saw no discrepancy when I tried out your example, which needed a bit of editing to do anything so, may have lost something in the translation (both IE and FF used the same branch:

if(EndIndex <=0)

and returned the same result). Also, InnerHTML is simply a variable, while innerHTML is an object of HTML elements. Finally, I should have included with my above post, a question like, "Why can't you just query the title attribute directly as illustrated?"

ak_jsohi4u
05-10-2006, 05:09 AM
alert(document.getElementById('TreeViewPR1_TreeView1t14').title)
Hii john,

Thanks for the idea, its great, I came to do all this in one line after little modification...

Cheerio
Abhishek

ak_jsohi4u
05-10-2006, 06:13 AM
BTW, I should add that I saw no discrepancy when I tried out your example, which needed a bit of editing to do anything so, may have lost something in the translation (both IE and FF used the same branch:

if(EndIndex <=0)

and returned the same result). Also, InnerHTML is simply a variable, while innerHTML is an object of HTML elements. Finally, I should have included with my above post, a question like, "Why can't you just query the title attribute directly as illustrated?"
Hi John,

Sorry for not telling this before, actually i am accessing innerHTML like this
for a treeview control of asp.net..

AddNodeid(event.srcElement.parentNode.innerHTML);

FF and IE return different results(just interchange the position of title and id i.e. <SPAN ... title='Extract This string' , id=TreeViewPR1_TreeView1t14 >Hostage</SPAN>"),

But we can access title directly by-

event.srcElement.nextSibling.title

come to know this after your reply

Can you tell any link about differences in tag's supported by IE and FF...

Thanks for your help...

Cheerio
Abhishek

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum