View Full Version : need help creating a database

barreledaction
05-08-2006, 05:22 PM
Hi Guys, I have Windows 98SE, new to Javascript, etc. and want to create a database for use in-house. I have a Javascript book, have downloaded Mysql, PHP, and followed directions(not always useable) to enable this. Can someone guide this poor soul toward the light? Thanks in advance. Charlie

vwphillips
05-08-2006, 05:42 PM
suggest down loading/installing

http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp.html

and getting a book on PHP

Beagle
05-08-2006, 05:50 PM
DBMS: DataBase Management Server
--Examples: MySQL, Postgresql, Oracle
--Function: DBMSs store and serve databases

Database: A collection of information in a consistent format
--Examples: Flat-files, CVS Files, SQL Tables
--Function: Databases organize your data in manageable and predictable way for manipulation

Client: An application that provides the user-interface in a client-server application architecture
--Example: Web Browser, Game Graphical Client (what you play), mysql client
--Function: Allows the user to send / receive data to / from a server application server

Server: An application that provides a data interface for use by the client application in a client-server application architecture
--Example: Web Server, Game Server (HLDS), mysql dbms
--Function: Receives commands from the client, process commands and data, and sends data to the client

So, you have a DBMS (MySQL). You have a client environment for your application: your browser. JavaScript runs in your client, so you can customize it to be a client for your specific client-server architecture. You have PHP as your server side language, but you need a server to complete your client-server architecture.

You need a web server, I recommend Apache. There are also LightHTTPD and IIS (MS). Except for IIS, these are free and open-source. This web server will need PHP installed as a module so it can communicate with your DBMS (MySQL).

I don't know how far you are but I don't think you need to be looking at javascript at all right now. You can just use straight up HTML and PHP to build your first web-based application. Try the PHP forums for the most accurate guidance.

barreledaction
05-08-2006, 07:02 PM
Thanks for the help

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum