View Full Version : Opening a link in an iframe from an external page.

letgo216
05-05-2006, 01:20 AM
I want to have a link on one page to open another page, and direct the iframe on that new page to use a source other than its default.

Is that possible?

Arbitrator
05-05-2006, 02:09 AM
I don't think it is possible. If you had control of the page containing the iframe you might be able to change the target based on referrer information but I'm guessing that you don't.

This is one of the main reasons people don't like frames for web design: you can't target (and thus bookmark) specific pages without sacrificing the frame.

letgo216
05-05-2006, 02:13 AM
"If you had control of the page containing the iframe you might be able to change the target based on referrer information but I'm guessing that you don't."

:) Thanks. I do have control of all the pages involved in the problem. But I don't know how I would maked the target based on the referrer.

I'm only using the page with the frame to hold 2 or 3 pages, it's mostly just a front to my forum. What the frame currently points to is a news/announcements page. I'm going to set up a link-exchange page to access through that frame as well, and I'd like to be able to link to that in the forum navigation.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum