View Full Version : Extension Pronunciation

PremiumBlend
04-30-2006, 11:39 PM
This is actually just to hear some perferences of others. I've heard the pronunciation of the extension "GIF" as 'jiff' ('g' sounding like the g in giraffe) or 'giff' ('g' sounding like the g in gift). Apparantly, both are correct, but since the 'g' comes from the word "graphics" shouldn't it use the same pronunciation? I vote yes. What does everybody else think?

kewlceo
05-01-2006, 12:06 AM
Oh, GIF me a break! :D

rpgfan3233
05-01-2006, 01:03 AM
IMHO, "giff" sounds too rough, making "jiff" sound more appropriate. "jiff" is easier to say because it flows. I still say "giff" though. :p

felgall
05-01-2006, 06:07 AM
Well the owners of the format say it is pronouced jif but I have never heard anyone else say it that way.

NancyJ
05-01-2006, 07:10 AM
It depends where you're from. For example in france g is pronounced j and vice versa.
In the uk there was a cleaning product called jif, bnut they had to change the name to cif because of the pronunciation differences accross europe

felgall
05-01-2006, 08:15 AM
Is cif pronounced sif or kif?

As for GIF files since Compuserve own the format and say it is pronounced jif that is how they want people to pronounce it. Of course we all ignore their pronunciation decree the same way that we ignore the fact that we are using a proprietary format without paying royalties to the format owners (they have threatened to start charging royalties which is why the PNG format was developed).

NancyJ
05-01-2006, 08:55 AM
Is cif pronounced sif or kif?
sif

Given that compuserve are an american company they really have no excuse for expecting people to pronounce it jiff.

felgall
05-01-2006, 11:08 PM
sif

Given that compuserve are an american company they really have no excuse for expecting people to pronounce it jiff.

I agree. Makes no sense but then there are lots of computer related things that appear to make no sense (although there is usually a reason for them being the way they are if you dig back into their history far enough).

Spookster
05-01-2006, 11:29 PM
I've only every heard it pronounced gif. It would sound silly to call it jif because here in the U.S. that is a popular brand of peanut butter.

ubik
05-02-2006, 01:26 AM
i find it quite easy to just call it "gee-eye-ef"

PremiumBlend
05-02-2006, 05:04 AM
Does anybody pronounce .bmp a certain way? I just say bee-em-pee.

_Aerospace_Eng_
05-02-2006, 05:06 AM
I say it bimp. As for the gif thing isn't there already an image form that stems from JPEG called JIFF?

rpgfan3233
05-02-2006, 05:13 AM
Does anybody pronounce .bmp a certain way? I just say bee-em-pee.
I also do the same.
JPG was originally JPEG (but it was constrained to MS-DOS 8.3 file format), so I just say "jay-peg".

PNG I just say "pee-en-gee".

TGA is a Targa file, so I just say "targa".

kewlceo
05-02-2006, 05:27 AM
I say it bimp. As for the gif thing isn't there already an image forum that stems from JPEG called JIFF?
Yes there is, good point.

PremiumBlend
05-02-2006, 05:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Aerospace_Eng_
I say it bimp. As for the gif thing isn't there already an image forum that stems from JPEG called JIFF?
Yes there is, good point.

I guess that settles it. To avoid confusion, everybody MUST pronounce it "giff"! :p

felgall
05-02-2006, 07:38 AM
I guess that settles it. To avoid confusion, everybody MUST pronounce it "giff"! :p

Now all you have to do is to convince Compuserve that they should call their file format that the same as the rest of us do.

kewlceo
05-02-2006, 09:35 AM
Now all you have to do is to convince Compuserve that they should call their file format that the same as the rest of us do.
LOL! Good point. It's like the Mozilla people and Firefox. The "official" abbreviation is "Fx" believe it or not, but the users have made "FF" more popular, so it matters not.

Source: http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/faq#spell-abbreviate

JamieR
05-02-2006, 08:24 PM
I've only ever pronounced it "giff", I know it's "technically" wrong, but it's how most people pronounce it...

rpgfan3233
05-03-2006, 03:17 AM
LOL! Good point. It's like the Mozilla people and Firefox. The "official" abbreviation is "Fx" believe it or not, but the users have made "FF" more popular, so it matters not.

Source: http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/faq#spell-abbreviate
I understand why, but I don't like it. "Fx" was slowly replaced by "FF" on the forums I used to frequent, so I switched to "FF" to avoid confusion, though this can cause more confusion on a gamers' forum that has a board for Web coding ("FF" can be Firefox or Final Fantasy. . .) :p You can't make everybody happy. :(

drhowarddrfine
05-03-2006, 05:34 AM
Well that really puts me into a tiff.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum