PDA

View Full Version : get multiple elements by class

Greg-J
04-24-2006, 09:42 PM
The short of it is that I am trying to change the background color of all elements with a particular class name. I know there is no getElementsByClassName (wouldn't it be nice if there were?), but is there a simple way to do it?

Alternatively, is there a way to apply changes to multiple id's?
Edit/Delete Message

Beagle
04-24-2006, 10:05 PM
Well:

1) If you're trying to change the background color of all elements with a specific class, you can use JavaScript to modify the class itself: http://www.javascriptkit.com/domref/stylesheet.shtml

2) Check out attribute crawler: http://neo.dzygn.com/demos/attributecrawler.php

Greg-J
04-24-2006, 10:10 PM
1. I am using a color picker to change the background color - so I don't think changing the style is a very viable option.

2. I'm new to .js, so that attribute crawler is way over my head.

But thank you for your time.

Beagle
04-24-2006, 10:27 PM
if you're using a color picker, what you do is use javascript to modify the rule for the class that defines the background color. I don't see any problems there.

The attribute crawler is a script you put on your page that gives you the ability to call special functions like getElementsByClassName("class") it just does it in a round-about way so as to not suffer terrible speed problems, which you will run into inevitably. Go with option 1.

Greg-J
04-25-2006, 02:06 AM
Thank you for explaining all this to me.

I think I am going to with changing the stylesheet rules. I'm still very fuzzy on how to this, but I'm trying to make sense of it.

Kor
04-25-2006, 10:49 AM
The short of it is that I am trying to change the background color of all elements with a particular class name. I know there is no getElementsByClassName (wouldn't it be nice if there were?), but is there a simple way to do it?

Alternatively, is there a way to apply changes to multiple id's?
Edit/Delete Message

var el = document.getElementsByTagName('*');
for(var i=0;i<el.length;i++){
el[i].className=='myClass'?el[i].style.backgroundColor='#ff0000':null;
}

Second problem? Well, id may not be multiple. id must be unique on the same page/session.

DHTML Kitchen
05-01-2006, 08:01 PM
Hey,

We discussed this to death on dhtmlcentral a few years back. I believe we decided that using == was bad because it doesn't work well with multiple classes.

indexOf will not work with consistant reliability, either.

There's two approaches that will work:
1) split the className estring and loop through the array
2) use regex.test(className);

I just figured out a way to do it using Array.filter. If you're supporting IE, you'll have to add Array.filter. There's an example posted on my site.

Garrett