View Full Version : Website Quote

Viper007
04-16-2006, 05:43 PM
I am looking for a website, something similar to IGN (http://ign.com). I would like a members area where members can add their reviews for video games and add their own wishlist for games. I would also like an admin area where I can add news to the site. I already have a domain and hosting.

I am looking for a quote, if anyone has any figures in mind, just shoot. I am quite flexible, but want the website done as fast as possible.

Any takers?

Viper007
04-16-2006, 07:24 PM
I have had a quote of $175 (100) from a friend who is a web designer.

Vladdy
04-16-2006, 08:10 PM
So why do not you go with that friend.
I would quote you at least ten times that amount.

Viper007
04-16-2006, 08:41 PM
So why do not you go with that friend.

That is why I am posting here, to see if anyone can lower it.

Vladdy
04-16-2006, 09:08 PM
good luck.
If you want any resemblance of quality work, you should consider quotes starting from $1000

Nightfire
04-17-2006, 03:55 AM
No way I could possibly make that in under 2 1/2 hours (£100). You'll be one extremely lucky person to get a good quality site as big as that for less than £100

CSn
04-17-2006, 03:18 PM
Hello,

Perhaps your friend meant the design (+ maybe html coding) part only - though 100 is sometimes not too much for even a website template. Anyway the ready solution will cost much more - several thousands or so - depending on who will work at it - an individual freelancer or a company. In any case not less than 1500. Before you launch the development just make sure you have discussed all the specs beforehand - some developers may give low prices in the beginning and charge you extra later on - when you have paid an advance fee and cannot quit the project.

With Regards,
CSn.

Viper007
04-17-2006, 09:47 PM
My friend is very skilled in web design, you can see his website Here (http://adyoil.co.uk).

I've seen a lot of his designs, and recently he coded a custom built shopping basket for a site for around £400.

He said he will code everything and possibly implement it into the template I have now (maybe design a new template) for £250

felgall
04-17-2006, 11:05 PM
To quote that low your friend must have already built up a huge library of components that can be plugged together to produce the desired functionality in a fraction of the time that would be necessary to adapt from an existing version written for someone else. They have probably also discounted it further because you are a friend.

ablaye
04-25-2006, 02:59 AM
My fees are $25/hour. PM me if you are interested.

chrisranjana
04-25-2006, 03:17 PM
Someone has grossly under estimated the work involved I guess. This project is certainly worth more and price will near 2K.

pixelEngine
04-27-2006, 04:25 PM
Great, more ppl willing to whore themselves out for 1/20th of what the average cost would be in the 'real world' business setting.

Things like this do nothing but hurt those of us who charge more, and its the client that ends up suffering. The only reason someone would charge $175 for that is because they are desperate for work. If their work dictated that they could receive $100/hr like most of us working developers charge then there would be zero reason for them not to.

Unless this is a dear friend and you have recently donated an organ to his family members I would be extremely cautious taking such lowball bids.

My 2cents. :mad:

missing-score
04-28-2006, 05:39 AM
My friend is very skilled in web design, you can see his website Here (http://adyoil.co.uk).

I've seen a lot of his designs, and recently he coded a custom built shopping basket for a site for around 400.

He said he will code everything and possibly implement it into the template I have now (maybe design a new template) for 250

Actually, your friend isn't very skilled in web design.

His markup is pretty bad, could be worst, but still bad His designs are not really that nice The linking method for his pages makes no sense

Clearly you are seeking a lower bid than what this friend has offered you... To be honest, I doubt even the most desparate for work person is going to go below that offer. I could code this site for you with an optimized PHP 5 backend, templating system and modular code structure for $8000-12,000... PM me if interested :)

Nightfire
04-28-2006, 05:46 AM
You mean index.ady?go=6 doesn't mean contact page to you?

missing-score
04-28-2006, 04:35 PM
You mean index.ady?go=6 doesn't mean contact page to you?
Yeah.. I mean for a forum its fair enough accessing a thread by an ID, because of the sheer number of threads (although you can get add-ons that convert the forum URLS to friendly URL's with the title in the name).

But for a small portfolio site, I feel his linking method is really inappropriate... IMO, it would have been better to use more than one page or at least use something like: ?page=contact so its human readable.

Viper007
04-29-2006, 07:52 PM
Unless this is a dear friend and you have recently donated an organ to his family members I would be extremely cautious taking such lowball bids.

Don't worry, I won't be paying up until it is at the standard I want it to.

Viper007
04-29-2006, 07:55 PM
Yeah.. I mean for a forum its fair enough accessing a thread by an ID, because of the sheer number of threads (although you can get add-ons that convert the forum URLS to friendly URL's with the title in the name).

But for a small portfolio site, I feel his linking method is really inappropriate... IMO, it would have been better to use more than one page or at least use something like: ?page=contact so its human readable.

Totally irrelevant. What does it matter anyway? Just so you can see that it says contact? It doesn't matter what is on the page then, it's the URL what matters.

missing-score
04-29-2006, 09:02 PM
Totally irrelevant. What does it matter anyway? Just so you can see that it says contact? It doesn't matter what is on the page then, it's the URL what matters.
You missed my point completley, read this thread discussing it: http://www.codingforums.com/showthread.php?t=85513

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum