View Full Version : scroll content in a div without scrollbar

VIPStephan
04-04-2006, 10:08 PM
There is a script (http://www.huntingground.freeserve.co.uk/main/mainfram.htm?../style/scroll_div.htm) that serves my purposes like it was made for me. :)
However, the still appearing scrollbar is disturbing me (which results from overflow: auto; in the stylsheet) and when I set the overflow to hidden it stops working in Opera and Netscape 7 (I don't yet know at all how it works on Mac). It is working in IE and Firefox, which is good but not enough for my demands. :)

Can you give me a hint on how to make it work with overflow: hidden; or can you show me a better script?

Thanks in advance. :)

nikkiH
04-04-2006, 10:36 PM
Whatever you do, please check the results with a scroll mouse. :)

/ was just irritated to HELL by a couple pages that thought they were being cool and made me sit there with the !@$$ mouse over a stupid link when I use my scroll button 99.9% of the time
// grrrrrrrrr

VIPStephan
04-04-2006, 10:49 PM
Sorry, I'm not quite sure what you are talking about...
Even if the user would use the scrolling wheel on his/her mouse there isn't any reason to be irritated... :confused: And in what I'm trying to achieve (overflow: hidden; ) the scrolling wheel doesn't do anything anyway.
Could someone please give me some more constructive advice on this?
This (http://fortissimoband.de/xhtml/ontour.shtml) (temporary link) is what I currently have and what I'd like to have working in Opera and Netscape 7 too.

VIPStephan
04-05-2006, 09:48 AM
I'm sorry for pushing but this is bothering me like crazy...
Does anybody have any idea?
Thanks guys. :)

nikkiH
04-05-2006, 04:41 PM
Sorry I couldn't be more constructive, but that page is just what I don't like.
Instead of being able to quickly scroll up and down the pictures with my mouse button, I have to hover over some arrow and watch as they slowly slide by.
I am impatient that way. Drives me up the wall.

I know, nitpicky. Sorry. :rolleyes:

Maybe someone else can give better advice. :)

FWIW, with my Firefox, I didn't see a scroll bar by the pictures.

VIPStephan
04-05-2006, 06:55 PM
Instead of being able to quickly scroll up and down the pictures with my mouse button, I have to hover over some arrow and watch as they slowly slide by.
Ah that's what you mean. Yeah, well... if you click on the buttons you can accelerate the scrolling - extra for impatient people. :) I don't wanna have a scrollbar there because... well, I just don't think it would look good in this case.

FWIW, with my Firefox, I didn't see a scroll bar by the pictures.
Yeah, because it's working as it should in Firefox and even in IE! :) But I want it to work in Opera and Netscape too.

nikkiH
04-06-2006, 02:02 PM
Since no one else has posted anything ...

Did you check the scrolling scripts at DD?
http://dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex2/index.html
Maybe there's a better one there?

felgall
04-07-2006, 12:53 AM
Not everyone has a scroll mouse and not all operating systems support a scroll mouse so unless you are developing for an intranet where you can dictate the operating system and type of mouse you shouldn't make any assumptions.

Also there are some web browsers where if you turn off the scrollbars you also turn off the ability to scroll the page via any means whatsoever (eg. Netscape 6).

roxii
04-07-2006, 01:14 AM
If the scroll bar is supposed to be hidden, it is not in Safari for OS 10.4 (a Mac). While I doubt there is a way to hide a scroll bar, you probably can cover it. I haven't done any testing, but why not place an absolutely positioned div over the scroll bar. Using z-index, you can place the div over the scrolling div's scrollbars.

<style type="text/css">
#scroll {
position: absolute;
top: 10px;
left: 10px;
width: 200px;
height: 300px;
padding: 0 15px 0 0; /* extra space for different scrollbar sizes */
overflow: auto;
z-index: 1;
}
#cover {