View Full Version : Help purchasing a laptop

03-19-2006, 04:07 AM
I know most of you have probaly heard this several times and many of you most likely put in your own thoughts on the subject. I would like some help with purchasing a laptop. It will be mainly for work, Java and web programming. Windows XP Pro is a must on it, but what about the processor, and ram, motherboard, dual proccessors? Any input would help a ton. Thanks guys.

03-19-2006, 04:12 AM
Are you looking for something that is more portable or do you want a desktop replacement type of laptop?

As for memory I'd suggest 512MB or 1GB depending exactly what you are going for.

03-19-2006, 09:19 AM
It needs to be portable. I wont have a stable home enviroment soon enough, so I'll be bouncing around everywhere. But I'll need to remote to my friends home computer from anywhere.

03-19-2006, 01:05 PM
...you're not going to have a stable home soon a laptop is the least of your concerns? :confused:

03-19-2006, 05:42 PM
I'll be bouncing in between two houses for a couple months. I need a computer to do my class work on.

03-20-2006, 03:40 AM
What features do you require for what you do for work? I mean, I run XP Pro on a Panasonic Toughbook CF-47 thats been through HELL. Its only a P3600 with 192MB pc133 sdram but it RUNS and I do basic HTML webpages, play some games and wardrive my *** off with it and I got it for $200 with extra parts. I guess Im saying that your local newspaper is the best first place to look unless youre interested in a warranty and/or you've got cash to burn.

03-20-2006, 05:03 PM
Same as any computer, get as much memory as you can (or at least make sure you can upgrade the memory easily), more hard disk space is nice if you want to dual boot, battery life a boon if you want to be truly mobile (e.g. dont get a celeron)

03-22-2006, 03:36 AM
I have a Dell Inspiron 8600, I love it. Widescreen, 128mb Radeon9600 Pro Turbo, 1.6Ghz Centrino, 512mb DDR and a quiet 60Gb HDD. Hasn't ever let me down in the 2 years I've owned it. I use it mostly for development, but it still plays HL2 and UT2k4 without a hitch...granted right now I'm addicted to AOE2 again :p.

[edit:] I highly recommend Dell! I just remembered, one day I got bored and decided to find out what my laptop was like inside. I swear I put it back together exactly right but it didn't work. Just rang em up and they replaced everything inside it the next day! Also my modem got fried from a powersurge through the phoneline, replaced within 2 days and it was not even covered under warranty for that sort of thing! Great customer service for sure, and a quality product.

03-22-2006, 09:19 AM
I also have a Dell laptop; it has worked pretty well. Dell support isn't too bad, the hardest part is convincing them that there is actually a problem. Once that was out of the way they sent the replacement part overnight express.

03-22-2006, 06:41 PM
I was thinking about going with Dell, in the past we've had great service from Dell. I was also thinking about what CWMcVey said about looking in the news paper. I need it to be able to run Dreamweaver and compile my Java programs as well. Thanks for all of the responses guys :)