View Full Version : broadband provider

bin
03-13-2006, 05:04 PM
hi
I am 12
I've built (and paid for) for my own computer so now i want to connect to the internet theres 1 other computer in my house which is using aol silver (:eek: :mad: :eek: :mad: which is RUBISH)so now i have to wait until aol contract ends so i can change provider and have broadband through the network (aol being rubbish want us to pay double for use with network) so what provider is best?

thanks

JamieR
03-13-2006, 05:13 PM
Firstly, although I'll agree with you that AOL is rubbish, however you can connect both computers together via Cat 5e crossover cable and use ICS (internet connection sharing in Windows 2000/XP) to share the internet connection via both computers.
I don't know of any restrictions with AOL and sharing an AOL connection, however there probably is some seeing as AOL is crap :)

In terms of Broadband, it depends where you live and how much you wanna spend per month. I've got 1MB BT Broadband with a 30Gb download limit [not sure about download limit, I can't remember but I probably go over it :D] and we pay 24.99 a month for it.

Jamie.

NancyJ
03-13-2006, 05:30 PM
Firstly, although I'll agree with you that AOL is rubbish, however you can connect both computers together via Cat 5e crossover cable and use ICS (internet connection sharing in Windows 2000/XP) to share the internet connection via both computers.
I don't know of any restrictions with AOL and sharing an AOL connection, however there probably is some seeing as AOL is crap :)

In terms of Broadband, it depends where you live and how much you wanna spend per month. I've got 1MB BT Broadband with a 30Gb download limit [not sure about download limit, I can't remember but I probably go over it :D] and we pay 24.99 a month for it.

Jamie.
Wow, you're getting ripped off there. I'm on telewest (blueyonder) and we currently have 2Mb cable, unlimited use for 35 a month. In two weeks we're being upgraded (free) to 10Mb!! /drool

It really all comes down to what is available in your area.

JamieR
03-13-2006, 06:08 PM
Yeah I know it's a bit high for what it is. Just that where I live, my house is 2 and a half miles from the exchange in Frinton so it limits what we can get. The max. round here is 1MB. I'm thinking about persuading my parents to change but they are getting on a bit and don't understand all this "new" technology!
:D

mark87
03-13-2006, 06:25 PM
I can only get 1Mbps here too... with Wanadoo (paying quite a ridculous £28 a month for it, but happy with the service so can't really be bothered to change!), although apparently they're upgrading to 8Mbps for free at most places this year (can't wait! :p).

I wouldn't go with AOL... ever...

JamieR
03-13-2006, 08:10 PM
lol, AOL are trying to clean up their image of being crap, but for most people who actually bother to research ISPs rather than just seeing an AOL crapvert on the TV and order it, AOL just doesn't cut it....

Along with their s****y browser, "Safety & security tools" and schiteware.....heh

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum