View Full Version : Strange IE rendering problem

03-05-2006, 11:49 PM
Well, have begun coding my personal portfolio, at last, and ran into this strange rendering problem with IE. Since it's hard to describe, simply visit my website and have a look for yourselves.

All is rendered correctly in ff and opera.

My version of IE is 6.0.2900.2180. I run win XP sp2

My site is located here:
Isaac Keyet - thats me! ;D

Any clever suggestions? Never seen anything like this before :confused:

thanks in advance,

isaac aka ievolver

03-06-2006, 12:11 AM
double-posting to announce the solving of my problem!

It turned out IE didn't like me giving <body> a css style. Odd, but true. So in the future, always be careful with the body tag!

over and out.

03-06-2006, 01:16 AM

03-06-2006, 01:34 AM
Did you apply it with the style attribute or with a (embedded or external) stylesheet?

What were the CSS properties and values that you applied to body?

03-06-2006, 01:38 AM

well, i tracked down the problem to the fact that IE dislikes the css property "repeat-x" - which i used. I recon this is a common problem..

Are there any easy ways of solving this matter? tried to put the whole page in a div box, and apply the previous body attributes on it. but then background-attachment didnt work.

any clues?

this is the code id like to use:

body {
padding: 85px 0px 0px 0px;
margin: 0px;

background-image: url(images/main_bg.gif);
background-repeat: repeat-x;
background-attachment: fixed;

Kravvitz: It is an external stylesheet, but i tested applying the code directly onto body, but it caused the same error. thanks for trying to help!

03-06-2006, 01:41 AM
Never seen a problem with that before. Try writing it like the following.

body {
padding: 85px 0 0 0;
margin: 0;
background: url(images/main_bg.gif) repeat-x fixed;

03-06-2006, 01:42 AM
I don't remember having a problem with that either.

I suggest you read this: http://www.howtocreate.co.uk/fixedBackground.html

03-06-2006, 02:20 AM
IE doesn't like inline body attributes period.

Also, your jumbled javascript rollovers, your table design and lack of semantic elements doesn't help.

03-06-2006, 02:39 AM
thanks for all the useful tips! however, i dont want to use excessive javascripts to create the one thing i want.. so i redesigned the site a bit instead.

Nick Presta: Well, im a graphical art designer, not a programmer, and normally i dont do any coding. so i stick with dreamweaver. and i needed to get this out quick, and havent really got the guts to go css all the way, that explains the tables.

and.. what the heck is a semantic element?? im from sweden, english is not my first language so.. :rolleyes:

thanks again!

03-06-2006, 02:44 AM
what the heck is a semantic element??

Using elements how they should be used. eg. Heading tags (<h*>) for headings, <p> for paragraphs, and <code> for code.

03-06-2006, 02:46 AM
Look within each frame.

top.htm and such.

03-06-2006, 02:49 AM
Yup sorry I noticed after I posted and edited my post accordingly. :)

03-06-2006, 02:51 AM
yes, its a frames page. the top frame contains the menu with the javascript rollovers. the main frame (only one for now, photography.htm) uses tables to display the content.

well. i dont like frames pages usually. and i dont want to use either javascript or tables. but as i said, this needs to be out very soon, so theres no time for learning new techniques.