View Full Version : Cursor change help!

10-15-2002, 09:16 AM

I have a image map of a circle. When the mouse is placed over it I would like the cursor to change to the 'hand'.

This is the code for the image map:

<map name="Map">
<area value="submit" shape="circle" coords="31,33,9" onClick="Javascript:form1.submit();" target="mainFrame" alt="go">

If anyone could help then that would be great!!!

10-15-2002, 09:36 AM
my image maps always have the mouse turning to a hand when you move over it.

Do you have a style inserted that changes the cursor to something else when you move the mouse over a link?

If so you will need to over-ride that style by putting another cursor style in your image map tags.

10-15-2002, 09:41 AM
You can always try a dummy link:

<area value="submit" href="javascript:void(0)" ...

which will bring up the hand. Don't know if it will conflict with the submit().

10-15-2002, 09:42 AM
Thanks for the reply.

I have no style inserted because it does not seem to work.
Basically, all I want to happen is, when the mouse is placed over the image map, the mouse cursor changes to the hand.

I did a search here at the forums and found people with the same problem. When I tried alot of the code given, none of the code worked for me :confused:

10-15-2002, 09:44 AM
Hi PauletteB.

Thanks for that. It works but it conflicts with the submit :S
Nether the less the hand cursor shows... I guess its a start! :)
Do you know how to make the hand cursor show without it conflicting with the submit?

10-15-2002, 09:51 AM

which *may* work, but again... this time, the hashmark points to the top of the page instead of being a dummy link.

Should see more of the code...

10-15-2002, 09:54 AM
THANK YOU! PauletteB

It works fine... :D
I dont know if this will cause problems in other browsers but for now this works fine.

If anyone else has another way for the hand cursor to show then please post it because I am interested in trying different methods.

Should see more of the code... Basically the image is in a table and then mapped. There isnt any more code to show other than what is in the table.

10-15-2002, 11:21 AM

10-15-2002, 11:23 AM
Incase you want them

<p><a href="cursorstyles.htm" style="cursor:crosshair">crosshair</a> on mouse over <a
href="cursorstyles.htm" style="cursor:hand">hand</a> on mouse over <a
href="cursorstyles.htm" style="cursor:text">text</a> on mouse over <a
href="cursorstyles.htm" style="cursor:wait">wait</a> on mouse over <a
href="cursorstyles.htm" style="cursor:move">move</a> on mouse over <a
href="cursorstyles.htm" style="cursor:help">help</a> on mouse over</p>