View Full Version : Which Browser is used the most?

farooqaaa
02-12-2006, 10:00 AM
Hello,

I just want to know about which browser is using most all over the world?:rolleyes:

Thanks

NancyJ
02-12-2006, 10:21 AM
internet explorer 6.

farooqaaa
02-13-2006, 04:09 AM
Yes, Nancy J thats great :)

I thought Firefox is used most. But i am very happy that IE6 is used most, because my site looks fit in IE.

Thanks.

_Aerospace_Eng_
02-13-2006, 06:21 AM
Yes, Nancy J thats great :)

I thought Firefox is used most. But i am very happy that IE6 is used most, because my site looks fit in IE.

Thanks.
But does it look fit in FF?

oracleguy
02-13-2006, 08:34 AM
Firefox is definetly gaining market share among the general population. I'd say its the majority browser among web designers/developers, if not Firefox they probably use Opera or anything but IE6.

So it can sorta depend on who your target audience is.

Masterslave
02-13-2006, 09:02 AM
Firefox here, I use it from the beginning, from Phoenix 0.1:D I don't want a other browser. I use IE6 only for development, last time I really browse with IE is 2years ago. My top three:
Firefox, Opera, Seamonkey(on Linux).

felgall
02-13-2006, 09:47 PM
My site has had IE6 users drop from over 90% to less than 70% in the last year and it is continuing to fall.

The only relevance of browser usage is where there are insufficient people using a really old version of a browser to make it worth catering for the non-standard way that the browser works. For example: since almost no one uses IE4 and Netscape 4 any more there is no need to cater for them so Javascript code using document.all and document.layers is no longer required as all browsers now support document.getElementById.

You need to make sure that your page works in the latest version of all common browsers such as Opera, Safari, Konqueror, Firefox and IE.

JamieR
02-13-2006, 09:58 PM
http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp

I can see this is going to turn into another "which browser is best" threads...:p

Personally, firefox..used it since 0.9.3

oracleguy
02-14-2006, 12:49 AM
http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp

Those stats aren't exactly representive of the general web population though, FYI to the OP.

Skyzyx
02-19-2006, 09:43 PM
IE6 is the most used browser overall. But depending on your audience, your site may have different results. For SimplePie.org (http://simplepie.org), we have:

57% Firefox
25% Internet Explorer
15% Safari.
3% Everything else

gsnedders
02-19-2006, 10:07 PM
Maybe I should stop visiting SP.org :p

Bill Posters
02-20-2006, 11:12 AM
Those stats aren't exactly representive of the general web population though, FYI to the OP.

Fwiw

Statistics Are Often Misleading

You cannot - as a web developer - rely only on statistics. Statistics can often be misleading.

Global averages may not always be relevant to your web site. Different sites attract different audiences. Some web sites attract professional developers using professional hardware, other sites attract hobbyists using older low spec computers.

Also be aware that many stats may have an incomplete or faulty browser detection. It is quite common by many web stats report programs, not to detect new browsers like Opera and Netscape 6 or 7 from the web log.

(The statistics above are extracted from W3Schools' log-files, but we are also monitoring other sources around the Internet to assure the quality of these figures)
(Colour emphasis added.)

Like I say, fwiw.

Archangel
02-20-2006, 02:30 PM
Yeah...IE is used the most, but FF it's making a run for it.

GJay
02-21-2006, 02:07 AM
And (to the OP mainly) it's perhaps worth noting that to some (Mac,Linux) IE simply isn't an option, so designing something to work in IE (and solely IE) isn't going to make you many friends :)

Y-S
02-21-2006, 03:42 AM
Maybe both IE and Firefox are the mostly used.........like, half use IE, other half use FF...which's all good

firepages
02-21-2006, 01:05 PM
The W3Schools stats are totally bogus (in the bigger picture), I assume since so many of thier visitors are designers and coders and like myself use firefox an awful lot of the time , in fact I am amazed the IE hits are so high.

None of any of the sites I deal with on a commercial basis have Firefox stats higher than Netscape , Netscape is always way ahead of FireFox , indeed on most non-techie sites googlebot or msnbot does more traffic than FireFox.

Yes Netscape/FF same-same I know but on most non-techie sites I reckon (ignoring bots) that IE has 90% +/- 5%, not saying thats the way it should be rather the way it is and its important for users here at CF not to lose sight of reality ;)

mike5a2
02-21-2006, 03:37 PM
IE is my favorite but FF is catching up

felgall
02-21-2006, 08:34 PM
As more people switch to accessing the web using devices other than computers the percentage of people using IE will fall. With IE7 Microsoft are moving toward following more of the web standards and so there will be less need to cater for non-standard browsers.

TheShaner
02-21-2006, 09:21 PM
I'm surprised no one remembers this thread (http://www.codingforums.com/showthread.php?t=76305) (which has been deleted, except from the thread history). It was just a link about a pretty thorough study on browser market share. In the article, FF claims 10% of the market, while IE makes up about 83%.

http://www.techweb.com/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=175801280

-Shane

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum