View Full Version : buying a dEll

reubenb
10-13-2002, 01:39 AM
heya
i want to buy this computer from dell:
http://www.ap.dell.com/ap/au/en/bsd/local/evalue_whatisevalue.htm then type in C2410150 - JJ1

what do you reckon?
the price is in aud.. sowwy... but if you can convert it it would be xclent :D
im looking at this because of the good price of the system... especially the flat monitor

thanks

cg9com
10-13-2002, 06:50 AM
im getting a new puter soon.

im going with HP and compaq, i dont know what brand they will use because they have merged, but whatever it is im getting it more than likely

the number you gave loaded the dell page with "null" written everywhere.

i pasted the code from the thread :(

reubenb
10-13-2002, 08:50 AM
hehe sorry about that..
i think they will have a HewlettPaq or something ?!!? :eek:
anyway the key is C241015 - JJ1
have a look for me

:D

mouse
10-13-2002, 03:06 PM
I tried the code but it didn't specify a machine to look at, just sent me to this page: http://dellstore02.dell.com.au/public/catalog.jsp

We just got a Dell for a relative... crap service, supplied with the a GeForce4 MX420 when we'd ordered a GeForce4 Ti4200 (there's a vast difference) which meant a load of chasing around. Technical support tried convincing me they'd supplied the correct goods when I had device manager open and my reciept to prove them wrong :rolleyes:

Building your own machine is the way to go and remarkably easy.:thumbsup:

reubenb
10-14-2002, 01:09 AM
yeah im really sorry dell stuffed up and that deal only starts today for some abornoamlic reason?
so it should work now okies :D thanks
sorry for any inconvience caused

cg9com
10-14-2002, 04:19 AM
did you make the puter on the site and it gave you a price or something? because by now ( 10/13/ ) the page has expired.

no worries tho

making your own PC is the BEST way to go, im not doing that tho :p

reubenb
10-14-2002, 04:22 AM
i have got no idea what on earth dell is up to!!
they totally stuffed up everything on there thing.. sorry about that
if you have time go to the dell catalog then look for the dimension 4550 and see the one that costs 1,997.60 with 384mb ram

[ thanks :D ]
:o

zoobie
10-14-2002, 06:17 AM
You may be very sorry if you buy a Dell. Although their stock has skyrocketed and their support is ranked high, there's a reason for all things. The major reason is that so many can't get the thing to operate properly...hense the strong support. I must admit they've done a great job of hiding this fact but websites are now popping up trying to warn people of the nightmares they've encountered. I wish you well but I wouldn't buy a 'Dell from Hell' as they're called.

reubenb
10-14-2002, 06:29 AM
Originally posted by zoobie
there's a reason for all things. The major reason is that so many can't get the thing to operate properly...
what do you mean by 'thing' doesnt make sense to me.. sorry
maybe computer? but how could this be i have never heard of bad reputation from dell we've gotten many computers from dell and havn't had a problem at all whatsoever

zoobie
10-14-2002, 05:47 PM
Yes...I mean computer. I don't know because I don't have a Dell. All I'm reporting is what I've been reading for the past 6 months here and there. Maybe your best bet is to go to a specialized computer forum and find out which has the best reputation for performance or check Consumer Reports. :D

webmarkart
10-15-2002, 06:18 AM
My mother bought a top of the line Dell last year with every bell and whistle imaginable. Straight out of the box there were major problems and the on site tech support she paid for kept trying to walk her through it on the phone (which didn't work after several tries). The onsite support never ended up coming and I ended up reformatting her brand new harddrive. I wouldn't reccomend a Dell. This isn't the only horror story I've heard either.

I have a Compaq Evo which I bought around the same time and I couldn't be happier.

zoobie
10-15-2002, 06:38 AM
Consumer Reports (http://consumerreports.org) :D

abbylee
10-15-2002, 07:08 AM
zoobie -- thanks for the link, but it appears that it's subscription only material. Maybe I didn't look thoroughly enough though.

My mother bought a top of the line Dell last year with every bell and whistle imaginable. Straight out of the box there were major problems and the on site tech support she paid for kept trying to walk her through it on the phone (which didn't work after several tries). The onsite support never ended up coming and I ended up reformatting her brand new hard-drive. I wouldn't recommend a Dell. This isn't the only horror story I've heard either.

I have a Compaq Evo which I bought around the same time and I couldn't be happier.

My current computer is one that I built myself, but a few years ago I bought myself a Compaq and my parents a Dell.

I love the Dell. The parts were reasonably priced, and good quality. The service we got was fantastic. After two months there was a problem with our cd rom drive, we called them up and they shipped us a new one. No charge, we just needed to ship the old one out. They offered to send a service tech to do it, but I wasn't worried about doing it myself.

The compaq on the other hand was a nightmare right from the start. It came with an installation CD which started by partitioning my drive and then copying the cd onto the hard-drive. From the copy, it then installed the OS and all the programs. There were very few customization options in the installation, and by the end of the process it had taken up almost 2GB of my 4GB hard drive. And all I had to show for it was Win98 and Word (not Office, just Word).

As far as the merge with HP, my policy was always to buy HP peripherals, but not HP computers. They've got great printers, CD burners, scanners, etc, but they never used to make their computers consumer friendly. Not sure about now.

Unfortunately, all the companies have their pros and cons. Your best bet is probably to find a good sized non-chain store in your city who can help you put one together. Otherwise, just go with your gut.

reubenb
10-15-2002, 07:26 AM
yeah i also still want to go with dell.. i mean there not much in the market... and we're pretty guru at computers! so if there is a problem we can try to work around it but if what you say is true about them not making the systems correctly well then we can just tell them that it is wrong and go somewhere else but i want to see it for myself and actually do it.

yay! :thumbsup: :D

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum