View Full Version : Creating EPS from PHP

02-08-2006, 01:29 AM
Does anyone know of any classes/functions that will help creating EPS files directly from PHP? I didn't have much luck searching :|

Going via a pdf is an option, but if it can be done directly then that would be preferable.

02-08-2006, 06:00 AM
could you be a little more specific .. you want to go from text -> EPS ?
If you have imagemagick installed on the server it sounds possible:
it appears to require Ghostscript (http://www.cs.wisc.edu/%7Eghost/) though.
you'd probably go from text -> PS -> EPS or something like that.

02-08-2006, 09:04 AM
it's going to need to include images (company logos etc.) and shapes (coloured squares/circles/etc.). That list looks promising, but something ready-made would be nicer :) (I'm lazy you see...)

02-08-2006, 02:35 PM
mmm, well, I did some googling and didn't really see a whole lot, try a little testing around with convert, you are going from jpg -> EPS ? which format to EPS ?

02-08-2006, 04:13 PM
I'm wanting to create the text and shapes myself (based on coordinates or whatever EPS understands), and then there might be a need for existing gifs/jpgs to become part of the EPS.
I know (vaguely) how to make a PDF like I want from PHP, and I know that PDFs can made into (E?)PS files quite easily, but if there's a way of skipping the inbetween steps then it would be handy.

02-08-2006, 04:40 PM
I believe you can use gnuplot to create shapes in the EPS format(set terminal postscript eps):
although if that is not installed on the server that might be a problem.

mmm, you could try using PS then convert that to EPS:

also refer to this(and some googling (http://www.google.com/search?q=converting+ps+eps) for good measure):

edit: typo

02-08-2006, 05:17 PM
I'm curious why you want to use EPS format. I know this is off the PHP topic, but EPS format is really only going to benefit you if it is in vector format which would prove to be extremely difficult to generate from a web page. If you turn a screen print into an EPS file that is raster based, it's no better than just making a jpeg image.