View Full Version : js game won't work :(

boxxer03
01-26-2006, 11:17 AM
OK, so I have this code in a .js file and it works fine the way it is (as shown below), but as soon as I change the words it won't work anymore. I checked the javascript console on Netscape and it said that [index] on line 51 (which is: alpha[0]=words[index].charAt(0);) and 79 (which i'm not sure) has no properties. But yet if I put in the words that are there below it works fine, I'm really confused and I must be missing something small and stupid cause it's not making any sense right now. You can see a ruogh version of the game (it's a hangman game :thumbsup:) at: http://savepitbulls.8m.com/newwin/pithangman.html Please help me.

Here's the working code:

var alpha=new Array();
var alpha_index=0;

var bravo=new Array();
var bravo_index=0;

var running=0;
var failnum=0;
var advising=0;

function pick()
{
var choice="";
var blank=0;

for (i=0; i<words[index].length; i++)
{
t=0;
for(j=0; j<=alpha_index; j++)
if(words[index].charAt(i)==alpha[j] || words[index].charAt(i)==alpha[j].toLowerCase()) t=1;

if (t) choice+=words[index].charAt(i)+" ";
else
{
choice+="_ ";
blank=1;
}
}

document.f.word.value=choice;

if (!blank)
{
document.f.tried.value=" === You Win! ===";
document.f.score.value++;
running=0;
}
}

function new_word(form)
{
if(!running)
{
running=1;
failnum=0;
form.lives.value=failnum;
form.tried.value="";
form.word.value="";
index=Math.round(Math.random()*10000) % 100;
alpha[0]=words[index].charAt(0);
alpha[1]=words[index].charAt(words[index].length-1);
alpha_index=1;
bravo[0]=words[index].charAt(0);
bravo[1]=words[index].charAt(words[index].length-1);
bravo_index=1;
pick();
}
else advise("A word is already in play!");
}

function seek(letter)
{
if (!running) advise(".....Click GO to start !");
else
{
t=0;
for (i=0; i<=bravo_index; i++)
{
if (bravo[i]==letter || bravo[i]==letter.toLowerCase()) t=1;
}

if (!t)
{
document.f.tried.value+=letter+" "
bravo_index++;
bravo[bravo_index]=letter;

for(i=0;i<words[index].length;i++)
if(words[index].charAt(i)==letter || words[index].charAt(i)==letter.toLowerCase()) t=1;

if(t)
{
alpha_index++;
alpha[alpha_index]=letter;
}
else failnum++;

document.f.lives.value=failnum;
if (failnum==6)
{
document.f.tried.value="You lose - Try again!";
document.f.word.value=words[index];
document.f.score.value--;
running=0;
}
else pick();
}
else advise("Letter "+letter+" is already used!");
}
}

function advise(msg)
{
if (!advising)
{
advising=-1;
savetext=document.f.tried.value;
document.f.tried.value=msg;
window.setTimeout("document.f.tried.value=savetext; advising=0;",1000);
}
}

var words = new Array("","acrimonious","allegiance","ameliorate","annihilate","antiseptic","articulate","authoritative","benefactor","boisterous","breakthrough","carcinogenic","censorious","chivalrous","collarbone","commendable","compendium","comprehensive","conclusive","conscientious","considerate","deferential","denouement","determinate","diffidence","disruption","earthenware","elliptical","entanglement","escutcheon","extinguish","extradition","fastidious","flamboyant","forethought","forthright","gregarious","handmaiden","honeysuckle","hypocritical","illustrious","infallible","lumberjack","mischievous","mollycoddle","nimbleness","nonplussed","obliterate","obsequious","obstreperous","opalescent","ostensible","pandemonium","paraphernalia","pawnbroker","pedestrian","peremptory","perfunctory","pernicious","perpetrate","personable","pickpocket","poltergeist","precipitous","predicament","preposterous","presumptuous","prevaricate","propensity","provisional","pugnacious","ramshackle","rattlesnake","reciprocate","recrimination","redoubtable","relinquish","remonstrate","repository","reprehensible","resolution","resplendent","restitution","retaliation","retribution","saccharine","salubrious","skulduggery","skyscraper","soothsayer","tearjerker","transcribe","turpentine","unassuming","underscore","undertaker","underwrite","unobtrusive","vernacular","waterfront","watertight");

Here's the words i'm changing it too, just incase you wanted to know:

var words = new Array("","breed","brindle","bsl","game","harness","kennel","pitbull","puppies","rednose","springpole","terrier");

It's a pit bull hangman games, using pit bull words. The problem is it doesn't matter what words you put in, if you change the words it gives you an error and won't work. :confused: :(

vwphillips
01-26-2006, 01:49 PM
index=Math.round(Math.random()*10000) % 100;

exceeds words.length

boxxer03
01-26-2006, 07:51 PM
Alright, one last question. I understand what the Math.random and everything does, but what does the % 100; do at the end of that line? Wouldn't it be better to just use Math.floor(Math.random()*words.length) ? P.S.: There's a 101 words in the first array, incase you wanted to know.

vwphillips
01-26-2006, 08:00 PM
% = Modulus arithmetic

i.e. the digits after the decimal point after division

using the array length is safer than a fixed value

boxxer03
01-26-2006, 08:13 PM
Awesome, thanks for your help. It's always the little stuff you never realize that throws everything off. Thanks alot! :thumbsup:

brothercake
01-26-2006, 10:12 PM
i.e. the digits after the decimal point after division
That's an innacurate description - modulus does not give the digits after the decimal point in a division, it gives the remainder of a division, so 9 % 4 = 1

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum