View Full Version : Scrollbar takes focus. Workarounds?

01-24-2006, 10:04 PM
Firstly, many apologies if I haven't had the chance to thank everyone for all their endless generousity around here. Things have been extremely hectic and I'm rushing as much as possible to get things done. So I really do apologize. I am very appreciative of everyones kindness, and didn't mean to burn any bridges.

My question is, there's a known bug in IE6 where the focus in your form is lost when someone clicks on the scrollbar. Are there any javascript workarounds for this?

01-24-2006, 10:10 PM
I don't think clicking the scrollbar would fire an event. But if it does than that would be a way. Just set a listener to the clicking of the scrollbar and add the javascript to focus on the form.

01-24-2006, 10:14 PM
Thanks. Will try this out.

01-24-2006, 10:48 PM
There's no event on the scrollbar, but there is a blur event on form fields when they lose the focus.

01-24-2006, 11:50 PM
Cool. Thanks!

01-25-2006, 06:02 PM
Just an FYI - I don't know what you're planning to do with this - but you absolutely must not use this to force a form element to retain focus.

Detecting that the focus leaves a field for styling or validation purposes is one thing, but you must not programmatically move the focus back to the field, because that's counter accessibility - it forces a change in the natural browsing behaviour, which can be anything from annoying to fundamentally broken, depending on the needs of the user.