View Full Version : Strange Google Problem..!

magicpaul
01-13-2006, 02:53 PM
I'm having a very strange morning. I realised last night that one of my clients web sites has a page 1 Google rank on a particular search term and emailed them to inform them of this.

Got a phone call this morning from them saying they can't even find their site on Google! :confused:

It's still coming up, page 1 for me, but nowhere to be seen for them!

Anyone got any ideas why this might be?

The search term is "newcastle upon tyne magician" and the web site is Don Moses - www.donmoses.co.uk

mark87
01-13-2006, 02:56 PM
It's not coming up for me either.

I don't know, but Google seems to work in mysterious ways somtimes!

Pennimus
01-13-2006, 03:23 PM
Google, like all search engines, has many datacentres - the servers that store their indexes. While differences between them are typically propogated across all datacentres quite quckly, it's entirely possible that this may not have happened yet. Therefore, if your clients location means they might be querying a different datacentre to you this could be the route of the discrepancy.

Another reason could be that you are using a different tld of Google to your client, for example you are using .com while they are using .co.uk.

Or, given the regional nature of the search term, Google could be pulling different results from the same datacentre based on your locations as dictated by your IP addresses.

Using google.co.uk where I am I get a third result: the site is listed at rank #6.

Unfortunately without using an appropriate IP spoof it's simply not possible to guarantee that what you are seeing is the same as any other person.

- Adam

magicpaul
01-13-2006, 05:18 PM
Cheers mate, thought it might be something like that. :cool:

Graft-Creative
01-13-2006, 09:54 PM
First page for me:

http://www.google.com/search?client=opera&rls=en&q=newcastle+upon+tyne+magician&sourceid=opera&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

Gary

magicpaul
01-13-2006, 10:56 PM
It's now dissapeared for me! How odd!

Span
01-13-2006, 11:25 PM
How odd!
Google doesn't only serve different SERPS from different datacenters, but search results from the same datacenters are different in IE compared to FF or Safari or Camino or what's your browser...

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum