View Full Version : allow .htaccess files

GO ILLINI
01-12-2006, 10:30 PM
Is there some way to allow .htaccess files in xp pro.
(it will say you need a filename if you try)

Thanks,
Adam

JamieR
01-12-2006, 10:42 PM
Whatcha mean "allow"? Register them as a file type and open them? I just open mine in notepad and set this to be the default action.

GO ILLINI
01-12-2006, 10:58 PM
NO, sorry for not explaining more clearly...
I mean to create them. Windows wont allow for a file to be extension only. And as far as I can see there is no option around that. (just the same as it wont allow you to make a file ".txt") Is there a setting I can change in xp to allow this, or is there an apache way? I looked through the conf and, well lets just say I started to zone out...

Thanks,
ILLINI

JamieR
01-12-2006, 11:56 PM
Well the way I get around that is when I create a .htaccess file, I do the following:

-start up notepad
-code .htaccess file contents
-file > save as > save as type: all files
-filename: .htaccess.

And preso, the nice .htaccess file is sitting on my desktop...works for me.

GO ILLINI
01-13-2006, 04:11 AM
ok, thanks.
I knew that it can at least open them and reconize them, because I transfered from linux to windows a site, and the files opened and stuff, guess i had never tried to make a new one though.

Thanks,
ILLINI

felgall
01-13-2006, 08:59 PM
.htaccess doesn't have a file extension (the leading dot is the hide file instruction for Unix based operating systems).

To force a filename to save without an extension in Windows simply include the filename in quotes.

".htaccess"

GO ILLINI
01-14-2006, 05:50 AM
Thanks, This works.
FYI: I found another fix(but im not going to use it). In the conf there is a line that specifies the directory instructions. You can change it to whatever you want. But some packages and other scripts will not work until you rename the file to whatever you have in the conf. Your ways are much better...

Thanks,
ILLINI

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum