View Full Version : What is your prefered way to deal with users and their preferences?

01-10-2006, 04:55 PM
What is your prefered way to deal with users and their preferences?

Do you rather use true/false, 1/0, yes/no, other...?[/LIST]

How do you store them in the db? in an array? single columns for each pref?

What kind of problems have you encountered so far with a method you've chosen?

I'd just like to learn from your experiences...

01-10-2006, 05:48 PM
i generally use a mix of array values within a single column, and single values in columns.

for things like colour scheme options i store them in an array in a single column (knowing the order i need to pull them in).

for singular things like display names, or birthdays i store them in their own column.

I find this is best because the values you will most likely be using together are stored together. and therefore easier to manage.

01-10-2006, 05:56 PM
I agree with rlemon, I store them in their own fields often with 0/1 as the switch.

also I beleive that "true/false" values are really only for access databases, or maybe MSSQL.

I only use arrays for storing formation like options from multiple checkboxes.

Velox Letum
01-10-2006, 06:49 PM
I use a column per user option...an ENUM('0', '1') if it's a true/false type thing. Otherwise I use as appropriate, such as varchar for a text field, same for multiple checkboxes, I just store a serialize() (http://www.php.net/function.serialize)'d array.

ralph l mayo
01-10-2006, 08:32 PM
The most efficient way to store binary options is generally to use each bit of and INT field. Eg, if you have 4 bit INT (up to 16), you can make each bit stand for show email, show im, show sig, and allow pms.