View Full Version : Which shall I?

cgibie
01-04-2006, 12:59 AM
I'm creating a website that is used for friend connections basically like profile listing stuff. So I studied the Database using Ms Access, do you think I should go with ODBC or MySQL using PHP script? I'm very new to this language by the way.

firepages
01-04-2006, 02:04 AM
Most here would suggest MySQL , msaccess is OK if you only have a few users, its awful in a multi-(concurrent)-user environment , also ODBC is about the slowest method of retrieving data, the native MySQL functions (and other DB native functions) are far quicker.

If this is a one-off small project then access is ok, if you want to do more of this sort of work then get stuck into MySQL .. or if you are on a windows platform .NET + SQLServer

Yusayoh
01-04-2006, 02:11 AM
I recommend MySQL. You should also put phpMyAdmin on your server to view the MySQL database online.:thumbsup:

Element
01-04-2006, 04:11 AM
I have expirenced, for some reason, when I had my personal server online, here next to me, that phpMyAdmin wouldn't run on Windows 2003 Possibly it was how I had the system configured, or maybe it just doesn't work on it at all.

MySQL also is what I would recommend its fast, compliant and easy to use.

_Aerospace_Eng_
01-04-2006, 05:29 AM
@Element
So if phpmyadmin didn't work on your server, what did you use to view your mysql? I'm just a bit curious.

Element
01-04-2006, 05:50 AM
Well I could have used Navicat MySQL for Windows, but I only got halfway done until I went on vacation, and when I got back I didn't use the server for web stuff anymore, because I didn't have any net.

_Aerospace_Eng_
01-04-2006, 06:13 AM
Ahh okay. I was just wondering the possibly alternatives for handling mysql on windows.

missing-score
01-04-2006, 06:22 AM
Ahh okay. I was just wondering the possibly alternatives for handling mysql on windows.
You can log into MySQL admin directly from the commandline, but its a bit annoying to be honest. I believe MySQL.com has a query builder tool but I dont know if it will run queries.

@Element: Did you check these things with phpMyAdmin:
You edited the phpMyAdmin config file mysqld-nt.exe was running in the background when you attempted to use MySQL
Not sure if Win 2003 is NTFS or not so it might be a different mysqld...exe file, but I'm quite certain MySQL will work on Win 2003

Prikid
01-04-2006, 06:34 AM
Don't remember any good free alternatives to phpmyadmin, but a very nice commercial one is SQLYog

Velox Letum
01-04-2006, 07:55 AM
You can log into MySQL admin directly from the commandline, but its a bit annoying to be honest. I believe MySQL.com has a query builder tool but I dont know if it will run queries.

@Element: Did you check these things with phpMyAdmin:
You edited the phpMyAdmin config file mysqld-nt.exe was running in the background when you attempted to use MySQL
Not sure if Win 2003 is NTFS or not so it might be a different mysqld...exe file, but I'm quite certain MySQL will work on Win 2003

MySQL does work on Win 2003...I've used it, and I know hosts use it all the time. Win 2003 is by default NTFS, but can be FAT32. mysqld-nt.exe refers to "NT" I believe, as it runs as a service rather than an active window.

And I'd also recommend MySQL. Large or small it does the job admirably. MS Access I wouldn't trust as far as my desk, let alone on my computer. Nasty MS junk...

degsy
01-04-2006, 02:59 PM
I would recommend phpMyAdmin, especially if you have a server that doesn't support remote connections.

Otherwise checkout
http://www.mysqlfront.de/

and for major uploads
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/scripts/mysqlman/
doesn't have the PHP timeout limit that you may encounter

Kurashu
01-05-2006, 12:26 AM
There is also another very well supported open-source database option: PostGreSQL. Many consider it as good, if not better, than MySQL. I couldn't tell you from experience since I've only used PostGres since MySQL isn't installed on my server.

Just thought I'd throw that out there.

Velox Letum
01-05-2006, 12:54 AM
MySQL is nearly as good as PostgreSQL in terms of features, but I've read in several places that PostgreSQL isn't as solid or stable as MySQL. I don't know these for a fact, but I remember reading them. As I read them elsewhere, don't take it as fact.

Kurashu
01-05-2006, 02:00 AM
They both have their advantages and disadvantages, I'm sure of that. I couldn't exactly tell you since I'm hardly an expert of either one, let alone both. =O>

marek_mar
01-05-2006, 02:40 AM
I have expirenced, for some reason, when I had my personal server online, here next to me, that phpMyAdmin wouldn't run on Windows 2003 Possibly it was how I had the system configured, or maybe it just doesn't work on it at all.
... which proves that PHP is OS-indepandant...

Prikid
01-05-2006, 03:05 AM
I have Windows 2003 Enterprise Server with apache2 + php5 + mysql5 + tomcat5 running internally...
PHP isn't 'os dependand', it's 'user error' that generates problems ;)

marek_mar
01-05-2006, 03:08 AM
I'll attach an emoticon next time...

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum