View Full Version : unexpected T_IF do not know what is wrong?

thesavior
01-01-2006, 04:08 AM
im getting an error:

Parse error: parse error, unexpected T_IF in /raid5/home/eli/public_html/test/tms/install/install1.php on line 3

in this code:

<?php
$configstat = substr(sprintf('%o', fileperms('../includes/config.inc.php')), -4)
if(($configstat == 0777) == TRUE)
{
echo "<span style=\"color:green;\"> ../includes/config.inc.php is 777</span>";
} else {
echo "<span style=\"color:red;\">Please chmod ../includes/config.inc.php to 0777.</span>";
echo $configstat; // etc...
}
?>

and i am not fimiliar with the error, to decide what is wrong with it.

Brandoe85
01-01-2006, 04:16 AM
Missing semi-colon:
$configstat = substr(sprintf('%o', fileperms('../includes/config.inc.php')), -4);

felgall
01-01-2006, 10:22 PM
Why use:

if(($configstat == 0777) == TRUE)

when

if($configstat == 0777)

is shorter and faster to perform exactly the same test?

thesavior
01-01-2006, 10:24 PM
because that returns true, and i need to check if it is true. Your thinking, is my original thinking, but it leads to problems.

Velox Letum
01-01-2006, 10:47 PM
Felgall is correct. They both serve the same purpose, however if($configstat == 0777) is both shorter and faster.

Element
01-01-2006, 10:56 PM
Or to explain something more, your way is basically checking if its true twice...

var == something returns true or false, where a s (var == something) == true is checking if its true twice.so basically it results in:

(TRUE) == TRUE which isn't nessessary.

thesavior
01-01-2006, 11:01 PM
i think it is necessary because it is saying:

if (blah blah blah) == true

there just so happens to be another equals inside the parens.

If i don't do it that way, it returns true, and doesn't continue. So im saying that if it is true, then do this.

Element
01-01-2006, 11:06 PM
i think it is necessary because it is saying:

if (blah blah blah) == true

there just so happens to be another equals inside the parens.

If i don't do it that way, it returns true, and doesn't continue. So im saying that if it is true, then do this.

no... you have it all wrong, the var == whatever DOES return true, its the same thing as (var == whatever) == true, but with that your doing it twice.

now if its something like (var = somefunction()) == true then its checking if the var, with the function didn't have any problems and is true, though once again, var == somefunction() does the same thing.

felgall
01-02-2006, 10:23 PM
You could also code it as:

$test = $configstat == 0777;
if ($test)

The first statement evaluates whether the content of $configstatus is 0777 and if it is it sets $test to true otherwise it sets it ti false. The if statement is then simply testing a boolean variable that is either true or false to start with. (Not that you would code it this way for such a simple test but it demonstrated better how if statements actually work).

Element
01-02-2006, 10:28 PM
You could also code it as:

if ($test)

The first statement evaluates whether the content of $configstatus is 0777 and if it is it sets $test to true otherwise it sets it ti false. The if statement is then simply testing a boolean variable that is either true or false to start with. (Not that you would code it this way for such a simple test but it demonstrated better how if statements actually work).
This is the only time you should use your example, TheSavior.

For example:

function a_test($a) [
if($a == "a") {
return true;
} else {
return "The string did not contain 'a'";
}
}

if(($a = a_test("a")) == true) {

See how that works? Becuase if that function does return false, the cocndition won't recongize it as false.

thesavior
01-02-2006, 10:33 PM
ok, thanks guys for being persistant. I talked with my dad, and he explained it to me in a way i understood.

Its all cleared up. :thumbsup:

marek_mar
01-02-2006, 10:44 PM
if ($test)

Is it too late to add that $test is not needed and we would end up at

if($configstat == 0777)

again?

Element
01-02-2006, 10:44 PM
I sure hope so.

That is too thesaviors post a bove yours, Marek.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum