View Full Version : Rate My Site!!!

12-21-2005, 10:22 PM
Ok, so I got the basics up!

Turn your pop up blocker off.... The background repeats, so I gotta fix it on the non-pop up page..

What do you think of the design? Images, and so on!

none of the nav links work either..

12-21-2005, 10:24 PM
oh and the temp link is::::

12-21-2005, 10:34 PM
Turn your pop up blocker off....
No thanks. How am I meant to know that if I found the site via somewhere else? Many of us (myself included) simply won't turn it off.

12-21-2005, 10:39 PM
NOFI but why do you think I've a popup blocker (Firefox)? To protect myself against site like yours. I don't like the background, but that's my opinion...;)

12-21-2005, 10:41 PM
U have a pop up blocker to prevent you from seeing the content on a site?

Last time I checked, the blocker was for spam, ie adds and such.

12-21-2005, 10:53 PM

popups are dumb, don't use them.

12-21-2005, 11:42 PM

And if I don't know the site uses a popup, I'll assume the site has no content and move on. If I know the site uses a popup, I'll think it's stupid and move on.

Popup blockers are for popups, which are annoying.

12-22-2005, 12:07 AM
Gonna have to vote for sucks, since I'm not going to turn off popup blocking.

12-22-2005, 01:53 AM
yep. If I went to your site how would I know to turn off my pop-up blocker? Why do you even have a pop up window? Where's the freakin' back button if I try to browse your pop up window? What's up with that code? What does that image have to do with anything? And please don't tell me this is going to be yet another web design for sale page.

12-22-2005, 01:57 AM
he even has a portfolio link, that just links to cnn.com

1) its stupid to use popups.
2) Background sucks
3) its stupid to use stupid popups.

vote for sucks.

12-22-2005, 05:34 PM
I voted for sucks.

I think you've probably got a good idea of what's wrong with your site by now.

The background could be interesting... if it was in context, and if it didn't tile.

12-22-2005, 05:59 PM
I don't have pop-ups blocked, but yet all I see is a gray
rock with a Javascript Error triangle in the status bar.
I see nothing else ... no text, nothing.

Using Windows 98, IE 6.0.2600

12-22-2005, 08:54 PM
refuse to turn off popup blocker - 90% of all users will agree.

do not use popups - and if you want a new page to load - load it off a link (target="_blank")

i'm undecided as i have not seen the site - make it avail without a popup and get a critic from me.

voted "well....."

12-24-2005, 05:20 PM
do not use popups - and if you want a new page to load - load it off a link (target="_blank")

Lol, i dont even go as far to agree with that. target="_blank" is not valid XHTML 1.0 Strict, and I think that users should have the right to choose where their window loads, whether it be the same window, new window or new tab (I have firefox to open new-window links in new tabs anyway).

I viewed the page from firefox options and still voted sucks... You have a DynamicDrive dropdown menu with a couple of pretty poorly made images, but the worst thing is, what you have has no need to be spawned in a new window. You could just have easily had the main content display in the first window, then I might have been able to give you a "Well...".

12-24-2005, 05:52 PM
target="_blank" is not valid XHTML 1.0 Strict
It's not valid under any Strict DOCTYPE, not just XHTML 1.0

12-24-2005, 05:55 PM
No, I know, my point was that i always code in strict, and I disagree with using target="_blank". Sorry If I didnt make myself clear.

Tristan Gray
12-30-2005, 07:40 AM
I'm all about target="_blank" ... it drives me nuts when people don't have links set to open another window. In certain situations I think that it really is best to have it open the new window and users know how to close a window better than they often know how to get back to a page they were on before. I know that the design should be friendly enough yadda yadda, but I still don't mind this trick. It's simple.

This site sucks... the background is like three filters in photoshop on a photo and I was displayed no content. I don't generally allow pop-ups from an unknown site with what appears to be a dry brush filtered monochromatic image of a nuclear explosion.

12-30-2005, 09:15 AM
I'm not going to beat a dead horse here. I think you know what the problem is by now. Your doctype should be a full doctype. Its only a partial one. Your javascript seems pointless because window.open as a normal function already does what your script does so its redundant. In your body tag, you have body link, body alink, body vlink, umm you only need an opening body tag and a closing one. Those extra bodies are invalid. Your body tag uses deprecated link attributes. You have no content type specified, you don't even close your center tag. Its a bit hard to make out what you background image actually is. What is it? What the heck is a top value of 1000000 doing in your popup code? No need for that. Woot I saw your index page. Its not much. Just a menu and a logo that blends in. The color scheme you got going on is a bit dark. You haven't even edited the links for your menu yet. Your site isn't ready for a review IMO. Fix it and then come back. I think you know how I voted.

12-30-2005, 02:55 PM
I'm all about target="_blank"
If you use Firefox and the tabbed browsing UI you probably wouldnt care as much. With Firefox you can middle-click (click the scroll wheel) to open a link in a new tab. I pretty much open all links in new tabs, but either way its easy to make the choice yourself rather than letting the creator decide.

12-31-2005, 01:21 AM
It is mashed.

Single Paradox
01-01-2006, 12:50 AM
No likey says me. Hmmm, the pop up could easily be the main window, and maybe a big box over the mountain is where the text can go, other than that... Think it's time for another redesign.