View Full Version : Installing Linux on an OLD Presario

12-18-2005, 03:34 PM
Hi guys,

This is'nt one of my usual questions about coding, but, right now I'm trying to install RedHat 7.0 (Publishers Edition. It came with a book) on an old Presario 1278 laptop. I've looked everywhere else for help, but can't really find anything. I was wondering if someone here can help me. The issue is that, everything installs fine, except the monitor settings. Does anyone know what to do. I try probing it, and using a COMPAQ monitor settings, but that does'nt work. What can I do? Thanks in advance!

12-18-2005, 10:38 PM
Did it detect the video card in the laptop correctly during installation? You could just specify some settings you know that will work, like 640x480 resolution.

What problem are you having exactly? Like nothing shows up when the system boots? I'd assume that at the very least the console should show up when it boots and the problem is that when X loads the monitor configuration is invalid and not displaying anything is that is what is happening?

12-18-2005, 11:24 PM
You also may want to try the latest version. The free version of RedHat has migrated to the Fedora project. You'll find better support and drivers for hardware in the latest versions. You can find a link to it in my signature.

12-19-2005, 12:18 AM
Sorry to pull slightly OT, but how old exactly is Redhat 7.0? My host still use 7.3 (valhalla.)

12-19-2005, 12:31 AM
Sorry to pull slightly OT, but how old exactly is Redhat 7.0? My host still use 7.3 (valhalla.)

7.0 is around 5 years old. 7.3 is about 3 1/2 years old. My host is also still using 7.3.

BTW here is a history of Redhat releases

12-21-2005, 09:52 PM
Depending on what model you have, here's a good site to get you setup. [http://www.linux-on-laptops.com/compaq.html]